Clutch: to kick or not to kick...

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

s chassis drifting is like autopilot..... i learned the basics with a s chassis but perfected my skills in my 86
JDM AE86/AE92

o.g.darkdrifter
Tourist

Post by o.g.darkdrifter »

I call s-chassis's Drift-O-Matics. Coming from a ae86 I dont see why people have trouble drifting in an s-chassis....... like........ at all.

When I'm riding with friends and we have a session or are at an event and they fail I just picture the face palm. But like most s-chassis owners they are cocky and dont know how to take advice. I wouldnt mind showing them up in a s-chassis but doing it up in a corolla is so much more gratifying.

Back on topic: A slight feint before a clutch kick without using brakes at full speed out at mineral wells seems like the best thing for the higher speed entries. You can just let the car settle then near the end you just pop it in second, e brake for a moment to keep it going then get back on the gas and pop the clutch. But this was when I had two blown shocks up front so it may be a bit easier with a decent susp setup.
Noob since 2004

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

Post by BlackTruenoAE86 »

I've had an SR20DET 240 and drifted it, I wouldnt say its easier, its just different. like you dont have to worry about loosing speed or dropping revs or going fast enough or clutch kicking enough times, but you have to do alot more throttle control you cant just floor it, you actually have to control your entry speed unlike a corolla you just try and get as much speed as possible...stuff like that, things that are easier to conquer than corollas of course...

nt66

Post by nt66 »

hvguy wrote:IVe got this shirt... says "Drift and destroy" Thats how it goes.

However, sometimes clutch kicking can cause you to oversteer and go outta control, but it takes more talent to clutch kick a welded diff and low power more than anything.
more talent then what? clutch kicking a low power car without a welded diff?
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

CBR_TOY wrote:... i learned the basics with a s chassis but perfected my skills in my 86
i see... :wink:
hvguy wrote:However, sometimes clutch kicking can cause you to oversteer and go outta control, but it takes more talent to clutch kick a welded diff and low power more than anything.
:?:

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

welded diff is actually easier to intiate the drift...other than that I dont understand what you are trying to say....

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

i think he is trying to say is it is harder to drift with having a clutch pack makes it more predictable a welded diff takes a bit more skill to handle and you will spin out allot more if you don't know what ur doing

nt66

Post by nt66 »

Nasser wrote:i think he is trying to say is it is harder to drift with having a clutch pack makes it more predictable a welded diff takes a bit more skill to handle and you will spin out allot more if you don't know what ur doing
yeah I dont agree with this welded is a LOT eaiser to initate with but its a LOT slower if you dont have power. Having a stock lsd forces you to learn how to really initate insted of depending on clutch kicking all the time
www.willparsonsdrift.com

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

i never mentioned a word about initiations i do agree it is easier to initiate with a welded what i was saying is that having a lsd makes it more predictable while drifting even you have said before that its harder on a welded while in a drift and it takes more skill.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

Nasser wrote:i never mentioned a word about initiations i do agree it is easier to initiate with a welded what i was saying is that having a lsd makes it more predictable while drifting even you have said before that its harder on a welded while in a drift and it takes more skill.

I never said it takes more skill I said it harder to learn when your a complete noob initating is the hardest part once your in drift there is almost no diffrence in the way it feels welded or lsd
www.willparsonsdrift.com

nt66

Post by nt66 »

it I would also like to say when I mean its harder to learn on a welded I mean your not going to learn all the intiation types and your going to depend on the clutch kick which will hurt you on certain tracks like msr npr and gss
www.willparsonsdrift.com

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

ive also done faint with clutch kick before but thats fine with me allot of pro's run 2way kaaz lsd's and osgekin and stuff that chirp on turns and lock very hard and act like a welded sometimes and they seem to be doing fine i dont believe that their is much of a difference because your lsd will be locking anyways its not like we are talking about 2 completley different things like open and welded plus all the sl kids run welded diffs and ameen has no problem at those tracks.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

Nasser wrote:ive also done faint with clutch kick before but thats fine with me allot of pro's run 2way kaaz lsd's and osgekin and stuff that chirp on turns and lock very hard and act like a welded sometimes and they seem to be doing fine i dont believe that their is much of a difference because your lsd will be locking anyways its not like we are talking about 2 completley different things like open and welded plus all the sl kids run welded diffs and ameen has no problem at those tracks.
man you need to learn to read. I know you love to ride ameens nuts but he already has a good grasp of what he is doing. I am saying welded makes it harder for YOU (NASSER) to learn correct drifting technique. Welded makes some things eaiser so you dont have to learn some of the basics. Try clutch kicking at gss when your in the top of 4th over 100mph and see how far it gets you. All Im trying to say is a stock lsd/open diff will force you to learn all the diffrent ways to start a drift because you cant just clutch kick and have the car go sideways. Its whatever you have apperantly been around wayyyyy longer than me and have it all figured out but just wait till your at a track thats acctually hard to drift
www.willparsonsdrift.com

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

man thats a buncha shiznet he learned on a welded and still does thats all i am saying and look how far he got he didnt learn on a lsd and i dont see why so many people shit talk on fully locked like its going to make you a bad driver i know of PLENTY people who learned on a welded and still do and can drift good as hell. clutch kicking is not the only way to drift a welded you can power over or hand brake or faint it all works on it and i will try clutch kicking in 4th one of these days if i go into a wall oh well my fault im a dumb ass and you proved me wrong as of right as of right now i am going based off of personal exp and other people who have always used welded diffs and got far with it i think drifting is allot more complicated than just whether your diff locks on just gas and brake or all the time and has allot more to do than that some people like welded diffs and have been very successful with them and some have failed horribly with them im just saying im going to just wait and see for myself what happens down the road if it is as bad as you make it sound and i find that out for myself i would be more than glad to invest in a nice trd lsd or something.

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

Will Speaks the truth. a 2 way is essentially a welded, it locks in deceleration and under acceleration. so yeah.. even an upgraded LSD will make it easier to initiate.

Back in the days people like Ameen, Casey and Mike. all had stock s13s with open diffs thats how they started, it forces you to learn different ways to to initiate a drift like weight transfer, speed etc etc.