Quick release hubs and steering wheels

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

yashiro86

Quick release hubs and steering wheels

Post by yashiro86 »

Hey guys, I was looking into getting a detachable steering wheel for security reasons on my 86. I was just wondering a couple of things maybe those who have them can help me out. So which is a good brand? I keep hearing about Nardi and they look nice but I hear they are expensive. Also do I have to buy a Nardi quick release Hub for a Nardi wheel? Or can I use another brand and vice versa? Also what would be a good size wheel? I would like something a bit smaller than the oem toyota wheel but not a lot smaller (anyone know the mm of oem?)
any info is appreciated as always! Thanks

Manifesto

Re: Quick release hubs and steering wheels

Post by Manifesto »

I have a momo Gotham, which is 350mm iirc. Its not bad at all, but I do have a nit of touble looking at my gauges. But who needs to know how fast you're going.

You can find momo products for much less than nardi in my exp, and they work abt as well as each other.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Me, I use an NRG quick release for a 5 bolt Grant style steering wheel. I don't want to spend the money on the really expensive models and the NRG quick releases have always performed well on friends' cars and mine. Again, I stick with the affordable Grant brand and especially since I scored a pair of California Color wheels Aqua and Hot Pink.

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Yea I was looking online and nrg looks cool and affordable! Mono as well...but they have a bunch of stuff kinda confusing...but the info I gathered it seems like I would need...correct me if I'm wrong...1. Hub 2. Quick release 3. Steering wheel 4. Hub lock (optional) Damn that's a lot of money new lol. How much did you guys spend if yyou don't mind me asking...

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

I have a NRG quick release and a wooden steering wheel from an old alfa romeo bolted onto it. I did have to get a boss hub adapter to bolt the quick release too but I found one on ebay for cheap. I forget exact cost.

as for the sizes, the oem wheel is 15in, funny enough so is my old afla wheel. I dont have p/s in my car and the bigger wheel does help when parking. I did have angalos old 350mm, i think, wheel on my rolla for a bit and i really liked how must extra feedback i got from my rack. For now though I really dig my wheel, its very hot rod too me. lol
I like cars, food, and puppies.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

iv used a cheap ebay quick release. my friend is still useing it with a momo steering wheel with no problems. still works great
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

NRG makes good stuff.