Silvertop only running on 2 cylinders?

Strictly 20valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

nexus09
Tourist

Silvertop only running on 2 cylinders?

Post by nexus09 »

I have been having some trouble with my silver top. It would randomly drop cylinder 1 while driving. Then it lost compression on 1 and 4 so I had the head rebuilt with a new gasket and studs and got it all back together. Now, when the engine is running, it is very rough and shakes the whole car, so I unplugged the injectors one by one. With injector 1 and/or 4 unplugged, rough idle does not change, it doesn't affect the engine at all. 2 or 3 unplugged and it kills the engine. New plugs are good and spark. Had the injectors cleaned and bench flow tested, they are good, also switched them around and the problem stayed on 1 and 4. Each injector is clicking like they normally would. Brought the Oscope out and each injector has the correct readings (according to my buddy who does that for a living). Fuel pressure is around 40 and with the plugs out, you can smell fuel in the cylinder after cranking. I have 2 ecu's, both produce the same problem but I am not sure if either of them are working properly. One is rebuilt with new compositors and one is original. If i knew anyone in Houston with a working ST I would cross test, but I don't have that option.

At this point I am willing to try anything, if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Silvertop only running on 2 cylinders?

Post by dr.occa »

Have you confirmed that it's not the piston rings on 1 & 4 by checking compression across all 4 cylinders?