Strictly 20valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

FerNasty
Tourist

20valve issues

Post by FerNasty »

So I need some help if anyone can help me out

Here are my issues that I have today:

issue #1 - the car runs great and strong but burns a decent amount of oil, i've checked for leaks and i know that its running a little rough so i think that it might be due to the timing. i've changed the sparkplugs and that helped out a little but the burning of oil is still noticeable.

issue #2 - when the car is does run, out of no where it will turn off randomly and with out any stuttering or jumping. Then once it turns off; it'll crank all day but it won't turn. i have tried to check the ignition coil at a mechanic and he did some sort of by-pass but then my gauges do not work.
so i was wondering if anyone knew.

Today my car died and then I disconnected my ignition coil and cranked it and didn't turned. Then plugged the ignition coil back up and then it cranked and turned on. So at this point idk what it could be...so if anyone knows what is going on, please put your input!!! Because when the car runs it runs but idk....please help!!!!

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Re: 20valve issues

Post by ga_goosh »

try the coil. coils usually fail intermitently.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Milhouse86

Post by Milhouse86 »

If its the coil you can get one off a mid 90's 4runner

FerNasty
Tourist

Post by FerNasty »

thanks for the suggestions guys. I have been looking at the coils and i got a duralast one from autozone and it still does the same. so at this point im starting to think that it might be the fuel pump.

FerNasty
Tourist

Post by FerNasty »

after finding out that the fuel pump was not good, and was replaced this is the list that i have checked.

i have checked the fuel pump and its good
i checked if i was getting fuel and i was (also replaced the fuel filter because it was due)
injectors are running
I checked all the fuses and they all get power.
its sending spark to the spark plugs.

any ideas anyone?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

If you're burning oil it's most likely the rings.

Are you getting any CEL (check engine light). If so check what the code is.

It's possible you may have developed a short somewhere in the wiring and when there's heat either in the wiring or the location of the wiring, it brings out the gremlins.

If I remember correctly, your wiring was a bit mangled when it got to me and I made the best of what I had to work with Fer. I would have done a complete overhaul and streamlined the harness but 786 informed me at the time that there was a limited budget, and whatever extra I spent in time and parts would cut into the small amount they had already allocated to me. It's not an excuse but it's what happened.

I'd check that ALL 4 coils are sparking simultaneously because that's how they run with your setup. It works because your fuel injection is sequential and not batched in anyway.

It's also possible that your ignitor is bad.

I believe that I had a spark plug wire connected to the factory 20v coil tower on one end and the other end to chassis ground originally. Is that still the case?

FerNasty
Tourist

Post by FerNasty »

Here is the update...

i tried to get a check engine light but i could not get it. I do remember seeing one right before the care went to the crapper but i wasn't able to get it unfortunately.
I have tried to check all the wires that i could and i do see anything. i have checked the continuation of all that i can see and no shortages anywhere. (yeah its ok bro, i was a little short in money because i about to leave to the navy)

Coil are all working and sparkplugs changed and i am getting spark (they recently got changed right before the car stopped working)

I dished out a few bucks for the new ignition coil because i got it changed a while back since it was acting a little weird but then everything went back to normal and car ran great.

I just spent the ass load of money ($190.00) for the ignitor and it is not running at all.
dr.occa wrote: I believe that I had a spark plug wire connected to the factory 20v coil tower on one end and the other end to chassis ground originally. Is that still the case?
no brotha, i checked all over the engine bay and i don't see anything related to that, but everything is well plugged in, NOTHING is unplugged...

am i missing something??

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

So it was running before you replaced the ignitor? I'm confused.

FerNasty
Tourist

Post by FerNasty »

fuel pump went out while i was driving. Changed it, got fuel, and the car would not turn on.

then i changed the igniter and still nothing.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Check that all your fusible links are good at the positive battery. Also check that none of your lines connected to the fusible link have broken.

FerNasty
Tourist

Post by FerNasty »

can anyone, by any chance have the wiring diagram for the 20v blacktop? because I've look for it on the internet and all i can find is the 4afe...can anyone help me out. because i don't see any burned out fuses anything...and also checked compression and I'm only getting around 30 tops...it might also be that the timing might be off as well...
can anyone help out? lol

morgan

Post by morgan »

Have you seen the DIY 20v swap into an ae86 thread i made? Check it out. Coils and igniters can be had from the jy from the 4runners fyi

FerNasty
Tourist

Post by FerNasty »

Update:

So i gave my friend the wiring diagram and he was able to look everywhere and he didn't find any shortages or anything. he did some wiring so that he could bypass the distributor and it worked. the car turned on. At this point we are thinking that it might be the distributor. Because when he checked i was getting spark, and if im not mistaken the injectors did only one cycle and then after that they don't work.

After spending days looking for this distributor (part #: 19100-16270) it is not made in the US and no one is selling it overseas.
Any Ideas?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

There are no other options for a 20v distributor replacement that will work with a factory 20v ecu I'm sorry to say.

Try this guy named Christopher on C4AG. He's selling a silvertop distributor for $100. His email address is nerzoid@gmail.com .

Here's his thread.