tps settings

Strictly 20valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

lunchbox
Tourist

tps settings

Post by lunchbox »

Hey guys I'm needing some help I have a bt in my 86 and can't get the Tps and timing to match up right. Right now the car revs but its a slow rev and real hesitant when u hit the throttle. I have found the diagrams to set the Tps but the window of readings it gives can be hit at any position if that makes sense. Someone please help I'm at the point to where I'm fixing to give up and put an f20c Honda motor in

morgan

Re: tps settings

Post by morgan »

the tps and timing have nothing to do with each other. you need to adjust timing with the distributo, the tps needs to be set as per the FSM, have you looked a tthe BT FSM for step by step instructions?
http://www.locost7.info/mirror/4age_blacktop.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lunchbox
Tourist

Post by lunchbox »

If I set the timing and then mess with the Tps it will move my timing as much as 10 more degrees. have looked at the fSM but the values given can be matched at any position u set the Tps to. Jumping e1 and te1 do not move my timing any either

morgan

Post by morgan »

Tps shouldn't adjust timing, there might be something wrong with the wiring. If you cannot set the tps then there's possibly something wrong with that too.

lunchbox
Tourist

Post by lunchbox »

Well its possible I may not be grasping the exact steps to setting it. Can anyone post the correct steps

morgan

Post by morgan »

i would worry about the TPS first, then set the timing once thats good.once you get it running, you might want to make small adjustments to the TPS pending how the throttle response feels. sometimes i find it within spec, but i adjust it slightly to where i like it.

TPS

Timing

lunchbox
Tourist

Post by lunchbox »

No matter what way I turn the Tps it gets within those values that is my problem if someone could give me a call and try to explain the proper steps that would be greatly appreciated 615-426-3311

morgan

Post by morgan »

thats crazy, it might be busted, or problems with the multimeter

lunchbox
Tourist

Post by lunchbox »

No the dvom is a higher end fluke meter. When doing the first step of setting the Tps between vta and e2 what should I put the resistance to should it be .3 or 6.3 I can get it down to .4 turned counter clockwise but I can set it at 6.3 turned fully clockwise

lunchbox
Tourist

Post by lunchbox »

If it is the Tps where can I source One for less than 150 bucks

morgan

Post by morgan »

ill be honest with you, i never set my TPS's by the book, i do it by feel. heres what i do...

-1st, loosen teh scres on the TPS enough so it turns easily, then turn it so the screws are in the middle of the slots.
-start car
-if idle is high, rotate very slowely clockwise til idle drops. if idle is low or normal, go to next step.
-tighten the screws just a hair, but still able to turn TPS.
-very very slowely turn it couonter-clockwise until the rpm's go up a little, then back it off a hair.
-time for test drive...when you press throttle, is it delayed? if yes, pop hood and turn slightly counter-clockwise. if no, do opposite.
-drive a little more, continue til TPS is set in desired location for pedal feel.

i always go off of pedal feel, if the sensor is too far one way, the car starts to jerk slightly upon dead stop acceleration, the other way and it hesitates.
doing it it by the FSM is a pita

lunchbox
Tourist

Post by lunchbox »

Now that sounds much better. The only prob I have with setting it that way is that I have the iscv blocked off cause I believe its defective so first start the idle is low but five min of running the idle slowly climbs to about 1500 and I don't have a thermostat will any of that effect try to set the Tps that way. What should I do about my timing. If I set it to 10 btdc its bogging down and has no power I try to set it around 14-16 jumping the diag plug does not change the timing also tried jumping e1 and te1 at the ecu no luck there either

morgan

Post by morgan »

like you said, warm the motor up.

its odd that the ecu isnt letting you jump the terminals, try doing it right at the ecu, by tapping into the wires directly. if that doesnt do it, youll have to set it without jumping them, it should be at roughly 16. ill start my 86 up this weekend, adn tell you what its set at without the terminals jumped. its been a while, that thing could use a little idle time. could use some road time too, but thats another story.

lunchbox
Tourist

Post by lunchbox »

Ok I'm fixin to go out here and start tryin to get it right thanks for the advise ill let u vknow how it turns out

morgan

Post by morgan »

cool, lmk.