Can you go with carbs on a Silvertop?!

Strictly 20valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Rayray86
Tourist

Can you go with carbs on a Silvertop?!

Post by Rayray86 »

Hi, I'm kinda new to doing my own work on my car. I have a silvertop I recently purchased from a

friend and was told I would be better off swapping out the ST head and harness and using a BT

head/harness so I could go with carbs or itb's and not have to deal with the MAF or somthin like that.

Is that true? or is there a simpler way to run carbs on a silvertop without a lot of problems or wasted

money. thanks, and sorry if I sound retarded

aj.hudson

Re: Can you go with carbs on a Silvertop?!

Post by aj.hudson »

Carbs while being simple, will cost alot of money especially on a 20v. Not many people run carbs either making asking for help innefective as there arent many who CAN help you.
The cheapest you can probably get carbs on a 20v will probably be 1500 to 2000$. Unless your going for a look or cool factor or building a all out crazy race motor stick with oem efi.

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

yes you can carb it. No you dont have to get a black top head. Putting carbs on an engine is pretty simple as long as you can find the parts. If you can fab its even a bonus. If you have just a bare engine then carbs prob would be the cheaper way to go.
http://facebook.com/86levin

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

You'll find a set of Weber or Mikuni/Solex carbs for a pretty affordable price these days. 40s or 44/45s will work on the 20vs. If you haven't already checked out the "Carbing the 20 Valve" thread, do so. I was able to pick up the carbs from Japan and the intake manifold from Capetown, So. Africa for about $600 but no more than $700.

Rayray86
Tourist

Post by Rayray86 »

Yep I read that last night. I emailed Rowland about the M012 manifold he said it goes for about 150euros so I'm guessing that's about 200$ a very good price for that thing I plan on getting. So would I just need a blacktop harness to run that on a ST?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

No EFI harness would be necessary really. If the car is an SR5 you're pretty much good to go. Unless you're planning on going programmable ignition (e.g. Megajolt, MSD or Electromotive...etc....), ignition will be the most challenging part on the 20v. Also, VVT will be inoperable unless you manually control it with an on/off switch or automatically by something like the Megajolt system.

Rayray86
Tourist

Post by Rayray86 »

Yea it is an SR5. I actually was hoping on being able to use my msd 6AL and blaster, but I can live without it if it will only create more problems than anything