super weird!!!

Strictly 20valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

super weird!!!

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

okay this is whats going on with the car.... i start it up and it stays on but when i rev it to 4 rpm it quickly turns off,(check engine light is on) now i thought well maybe its the tps. so i changed that. but nothing.. . so then i was like well its throwing a MAP code it needs a map sensor. NOPE.. same thing. car still wont drive.. so i was looking in to the wiring harness to see wuts going on.. and i find this. Image
theres no ground going to non of the sensors TPS, MAP, O2, TEMP. why isnt there ground? i mean the car needs all these to drive!! so im thinking why would this be cut?? so i go inside the car to look for the rest of the wire and look
Its been cut in spliced to another wire... so i follow the black wire and it leads to this
its the 14p connector for the 16v ecu.. now im guessing that brown wire is ground. okay. But what about the sensor grounds!!?? how are they suppose to work?? so i went ahead and grabed a wire so i can ground it off

so i grounded off to the ecu wire...

But NOPE!! car turns off when i start it.. so i quickly asked my girlfriend to turn the car on so i can check the voltage of the MAP sensor it reads 4.99 on the sensor wire which is the green middle wire and then its starts to go down to the correct voltage but when its going down the car turns off.. and the check engine lights turn off becuase obviously their working properly because their grounded off but somthings off.. somthings wrong because the car wont run with that ground wire grounded... need help big time!!!!! (NOTE: all the wires are showing 5 volts on all 3 wires... thats not normal. its suppose to be like 2.somthing to 3. somthing.. not sure but i kno its not 5 volts)
1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S coupe ( f20 powered)

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: super weird!!!

Post by dr.occa »

Milton, the E2 wire from the blacktop 16pin ecu connector is suppose to be grafted to that brown wire that was pinned to the 16v 14pin connector. That's the same as the 16v sensor ground. That's what I had wired in and that's how it should be wired.

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

dr.occa wrote:Milton, the E2 wire from the blacktop 16pin ecu connector is suppose to be grafted to that brown wire that was pinned to the 16v 14pin connector. That's the same as the 16v sensor ground. That's what I had wired in and that's how it should be wired.
yea i know that thats okay... im trynna figure out how to ground the sensors so the tps and map sensor could work. but when i ground them the car turns off.. i mean thats all i can think of other than the ecu might be bad but then again wut happends when the car still isnt driveable with "good working ecu"??? Back to the black board... i mean no matter wut i kno those ground wires have to be grounded off... non of the sensors arent working correctly without any of them being grounded.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Of course all the sensors need grounding but proper grounding. That 20v harness needs to be checked for integrity especially with that O2 sensor wiring heating things up in there.

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

Okay so I went ahead and wires the ground from the green cylinder to the e2 sensor ground and everything seems to work except the injectors. And also the MAP sensor. When it's Hooked up to the intake the car starts to bogg and turns off... But when I have it unhooked it runs good. (not driving) so when the map hose is connected the car starvs for fuel. And when the map hose isn't connected the injector pulse width runs at 9 mil sec. Connected it runs 2.3 mil sec.... So is either is too low or somthing esle. Sounds like a fuel pressure problem but I don't kno the fuel pressure for the black top...

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

bump you got any other update on this deamon
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)