blacktop timing..

Strictly 20valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

blacktop timing..

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

okay lets say i took the timing belt off right.. and accidently moved the cam gears is the timing mest up or somthing?? or do i just align the little points? i dont kno man im new to this.. :action38:
1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S coupe ( f20 powered)

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Re: blacktop timing..

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

scratch that.. i dont know how to put the timing belt back on... :action57:

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

You have to depress the belt tensioner to have the slack needed to install the belt.
http://facebook.com/86levin

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

how do i do that>> ive tried and i cant figure it out..

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

Gts_coupe87 wrote:how do i do that>> ive tried and i cant figure it out..
You could just remove it and put the belt on. Then replace it. If I recall correct from my black top the tensioner has a small hole in it around the shaft area. You cand depress it till the small holes line up. Then place a small allen key through the house and the shaft and it will stay depressed. Once you have everything put on and back in time. Pull the pin/allen key out and the tensioner will do its thing. GL
http://facebook.com/86levin

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

yup. for the hydraulic tensioner, put it in a press, and press the tensioner down and put a small allen wrench in the hole to hold it down.

make sure you figure out which way the tensioner bolts onto the block though so you can put the allen wrench through the right way.

also, the cam gears have 2 dots you need to line up to each other, and just line up the oil gear and put the belt back on (in a nutshell)

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

I got it!!! Done deal... did but I had to modify the water pump.. was getting in the way of the tensioner pulley so now everything is in place... now all that is left is to drop it in... helllllll yeeeeaaaaa..

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

Gts_coupe87 wrote:I got it!!! Done deal... did but I had to modify the water pump.. was getting in the way of the tensioner pulley so now everything is in place... now all that is left is to drop it in... helllllll yeeeeaaaaa..
i had to do the same. not sure if it was stated anywhere that you had to do it, but it was an easy enough thing to do.

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

Yea it was easy u just have to cut a little off so that way the pulley can pivot up n down so it can tighten the belt when the tensioner releases. And I used a little pin to keep the tensioner n place so I can install the pulley. Ugh I guess I just learn as I go.. That's one less thing I gotta worry about now!! Thank god!!!