20 valve ITB's

Strictly 20valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

20 valve ITB's

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

okay i recently purchased a 20 valve silver top to put into my ae86 its in prep right now so im trying to figure out the itb setup.. okay im new to this 20 valve stuff.. i wanna know do i have to purchase the itb's or do u just add on to the 4 throttle manifold?? like i know it sounds kind of dumb but i cant find itb's anywhere for 20 valve so im kinda thinking how did they get the itb's.. unless im not looking right, can someone please tell me how to do this.. please. itll be very much appreciated. thanks. :)
1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S coupe ( f20 powered)

Sam-Q
Tourist

Re: 20 valve ITB's

Post by Sam-Q »

they come with them originally. So just source the original manifold and throttles
-- My website --

http://s-86.com
Articles, Parts for sale, services, projects, pics...

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

^What Sam-Q said. They already come equipped with them. Unfortunately you can not run them without an airbox. The 20v silvertop ecu uses MAF for referencing. The only way to run w/o an air box would be to use stand-alone or run the blacktop harness and ecu.

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

dr.occa wrote:^What Sam-Q said. They already come equipped with them. Unfortunately you can not run them without an airbox. The 20v silvertop ecu uses MAF for referencing. The only way to run w/o an air box would be to use stand-alone or run the blacktop harness and ecu.

okay so ill just do that then....

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

got any pics of the motor? just curious to see what ya working with
JDM AE86/AE92

Sam-Q
Tourist

Post by Sam-Q »

you can run the airbox, it just takes a bit of work to make it fit:

-- My website --

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

what shock brace is that..... looks beefy
JDM AE86/AE92

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Wow! Yeah, that's a serious tower brace Sam! Looks good too.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

from what i read a while back he said he made the tower bar... :mrgreen:

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

sweet! i'd buy one ha ha
JDM AE86/AE92

Sam-Q
Tourist

Post by Sam-Q »

yes I made it myself and it has no deflection at all even with suddenly forcing all my body weight on it so I did overdo it a bit. It's made from 4130 (Cro-Mo) as I think aluminium is a poor material to make braces from and is only used because of how cost effective it is.

Here is test pannel from the middle:

I have had people ask me about making one before even ignoring the time it would take it couldn't be mass producted as it was welded in place while bolted on the car. This would mean it's very unlikely to fit other ae86 out there due to the lack of adjustment. The M8 tower studs don't even come close to holding the torque needed on it, this is why if anyone at all is trying to sell a brace that has all of it's sides fixed without adjustment is very likely a con artist or they are ignorant.

Here is a better pic of my airbox during the construction, it still has full length home made trumpets inside:

-- My website --

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I figured you either fabbed up your own air box or modified the factory one. I had installed a customer's airbox upside down since he didn't have a budget for a custom box. He just wanted to be able to drive it home. I like that one you modified Sam. Make a few more and sell them to Silvertop fans.

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

CBR_TOY wrote:got any pics of the motor? just curious to see what ya working with

i mean i can take some pics and post them but i really want to wait till its done then ill post all the pics from start to finish..

Sam-Q
Tourist

Post by Sam-Q »

dr.occa wrote:I figured you either fabbed up your own air box or modified the factory one. I had installed a customer's airbox upside down since he didn't have a budget for a custom box. He just wanted to be able to drive it home. I like that one you modified Sam. Make a few more and sell them to Silvertop fans.
ha! yes it's a modified OEM one, not much of the top part is left now. I have thought about making a few more simple versions but it would still take way too much time for what I could sell them for. Would be good for the guys boosting as well I guess
-- My website --