6sp ecu with 5sp tranny

Strictly 20valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

madcao

6sp ecu with 5sp tranny

Post by madcao »

would running a 6sp ecu from a 20v blktp and a 5sp t50 tranny cause issues? thanks. -sang

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

????

that's an interesting question.

i don't see how it would being that the ecu doesn't have anything to do with controlling the gear shifts, etc... also, unless there were sensors that indicated to the ecu what gear the drive train was in (which i highly doubt), i don't see how it would have any good or ill effects.

the ecu is only given baro, cam/crank angle, ignition confirmation, iat, map, o2, knock, coolant temp...nothing really to do with the transmission. even a/t cars are equipped with a separate controller unit for the a/t. i know when my CB7 was converted from 4 speed a/t to 5 spd manual, the only thing the ecu needed to know was that it was out of park (perpetual neutral :D). no ecu swap (that was later ;) ).

all that to say: it shouldn't matter. sorry for the long winded answer. :oops:

madcao

Post by madcao »

thanks for the reply. a long correct answer is always better than a short smart ass remark. thanks doc. -sang

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

no you will have no problems at all. manual ecus dont moniter the trans. i have seen people use auto ecus with manuals and the ecu thinks there is no transmission and throws a check engine light but it still runs fine
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM