Alternative Ignition: COPs - batch fire

Strictly 20valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

thats the first problem...i know that the tach wire goes to the igniter, but i dont know where it connects to or how its routed to the cabin.

Ive heard that its on the big firewall connector, but im just not sure which wire it is...any idea?

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

on my 93 corolla it goes to the pcm then it goes through the bodyharness connector too the cluster.

you could pull instrument cluster and trace the circuit on the back to see what wire color it is. then if you have a multimeter with the beep continuety function then check all the wires at the ignitor with the other end of the meter on the tach input at the cluster untill you hear a beep.

if you dont hear an beep then check the ecm connector for the same color wire and check it. once you have traced it that far open the ecm and where the connector goes it should tell you the pinout. ie: clt iat tach and so on.

find the input and color of wire then check the ignitor again for continuety.

or look at the wiring diagram. :lol:
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

I might have spoken too soon about the timing gun. took it out for the first drive yesterday, and i had NOOO power. I'm gonna mess with the timing a bit today, and see how far its off.

Im gonna break down and get a coil :( I need a tach, and it seems like this is the only way to get it working.

I have a wiring diagram, but it doesnt show any routing. Just says the wire from the igniter goes to the Tach. From the Tach side, it just says the wire goes to the igniter. Hopefully when i get a coil, it wont matter....hopefully.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

try hooking the tach wire to one of the - 's of one of your coils.

my cheap harbor freight timing light will pickup the wire next to the one its hooked on it should work sitting on top of the coil.?
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

so did you finally get a tach signal?

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

i did. i ended up just getting a coil and running the tach just like stock using the ignitor. not a big deal, but at least it works now!

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

sweet. a buddy was trying to get a set of 2 wire cops to work and he ended up frying the ignitor and the circuit inside the ecm. i kept telling him to get the hondas 3 wire but he had his mind set.

85levin

Post by 85levin »

running this on my car, works perfect.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: .

Post by dr.occa »

85levin wrote:running this on my car, works perfect.
share a pic of it with us hombre.

85levin

Post by 85levin »

here you go bro. unbolted the silvertop plastic cover to get a better look.

i use a silvertop plastic cover for more clearance on the coils also keeps them in place

the stock ignitor and coil are under my dash. used a short spark plug wire off a 92 v6 4runner and grounded it to a m6x1 threaded rod that i bolted up

85levin

Post by 85levin »

you can use the dist block off cap from a 90s camry forgot exactly what years.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

85levin wrote:you can use the dist block off cap from a 90s camry forgot exactly what years.
wonderful input 85levin.Image

85levin

Post by 85levin »

no prob. oh, and mine are toyota 1nz coils not honda.

aku_scandal

Re: Alternative Ignition: COPs - batch fire

Post by aku_scandal »

hello ...

can anyone send the diagram with toyota COPs...

tq

85levin

Re: Alternative Ignition: COPs - batch fire

Post by 85levin »