itb questions

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

drift

itb questions

Post by drift »

Okay, so I came across a practically complete silvertop itb setup with megasquirt 2 I couldnt pass up. Only thing is it is set up for the first gen mr2.
Now my question is....
1. Has the harness and pigtail already wired into the harness and was wandering if I can just replace a few plugs and run it on my 4age
2. Can I cut the pigtail and wire it into my harness and run it that way.
3. Forget it and just run the carb setup I have been planning to run.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: itb questions

Post by dr.occa »

Question for ya @drift:

1. What is your current platform: efi or carb'd?

drift

Post by drift »

it would be efi.
the plan now is to run carb this coming year. i just need to get the fuel parts and then install and start tuning and troubleshooting the setup. i would love to run itb cause itll be better for me in the long since once i get it tuned and running right. i would not have to mess with it anymore but im just not familiar with megasquirt.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Source a jdm map engine harness and ecu. Then get the itbs you want and don't worry about stand alone.

drift

Post by drift »

So I would not need anything else then. Just get a map base harness and ecu?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

drift wrote:So I would not need anything else then. Just get a map base harness and ecu?
Correct. You won't need anything else. You'll need to block off your EGR port(s) on the intake, pull the EGR equipment and screw in a set screw in the header where the recirculation tube ran from it to the intake (a set screw for an O2 sensor port will fit the bill).

If you run Blacktop or Silvertop ITBs, they'll already have a provision for a factory TPS. You'll just need an adapter which companies like T3 offer (I don't really know of any other companies but they probably exist ;) - possibly SQ Engineering). They'll be cheaper than say a TWM Induction setup (found here) which also have a provision for your TPS (at that price I'd expect they would!).

drift

Post by drift »

Okay, sounds like a plug and play setup then. Now does it have to be a 20v or does the 16v map setup work also. Ive read that ill need to wire the tps in reverse if I use a 16v map setup (correct me if im wrong though). Also, my egr has been gone for a while. Head has been ported to run carbs but a friend that was suppose to do that passed away so I just kind of left it alone after that.

Now I already have all the parts needed(silvertop itb, small port to largport T3 manifold, and megasquirt2 (which I wont need if I have a map harness and ecu). Still, thinking ill try and get the carb setup going while trying to source for a map harness and ecu setup.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Let me be clear: the JDM AE86 16v 4AGE IS MAP.

Grocery List:
1. JDM engine harness (unmolested) w/ IAT, TPS & MAP sensors preferably.
2. JDM ecu (that came with the same harness preferably)
3. ITBS
4. an adapter to mount the ITBS to the 16v

drift

Post by drift »

Okay, so 16v engine harness and ecu. Just wanted to be clear cause all the stuff Ive been reading has me confused a bit. Theyll say I need 16v jdm harness and ecu but will need to wire up the tps in reverse or say just get the 20v harness and splice it into the original harness that the car has.

Also, I read in one of the post on here (think its the one right below this one). That you said all thats needed it to wire the fuel pump properly. Just wandering what you mean by that. Ill also do some homework on that when I get the time. Thanks a bunch though doc.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

@drift, I just reread my response to you and it totally sounded abrasive which wasn't what I intended. My apologies man.

drift

Post by drift »

no problem man. i know some of my questions is redundant and ill sometimes ask the same question over cause im confused or just dont understand but still you answer them so thanks a lot. also, once i put the carbs in or run the itb. ill probably hit you up with a lot of questins lol
heres what i got though
my carbs
my itb

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

lol!

FCRs, a manifold and modified dizzy

vs.

ITBs, a manifold, adapter plate, megasquirt unit, harness and distributor cap

Installing 3 pieces (with one of the pieces being unicorn part worthy: FCRs) over 6 pieces would be preferable to me but then again I'm a carb fanatic. I've always been in love with FCRs.

drift

Post by drift »

I really wish those were keihin fcr but sadly they are not. They are mikuni rs40 flate slide. Found them online and couldn't pass up the deal even though I wanted to get keihin fcr carbs.