Itb's or carbs??? That is the question... I need help

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Illinoisinc
Tourist

Itb's or carbs??? That is the question... I need help

Post by Illinoisinc »

Before anything, I just want to apologies for all the dumb questions. I am noobie when it comes to the Ae86 upgrading ( family only does the rotary thing , Typical puerto ricans lol )

Well I am really interested of going with ITB's but from what people have told me that its too much for nothing.'

I would like to just have it since here in chicago it would be good for the engine breath.
But if I do go for ITB's what would I need?
Do I just get the velocity stacks from an AE101??
Change ecu?

Now the carb questions.

Im assuming Webber carb kit would be the answer??
is there a website for the kits?

What do you think the pros and cons are.

Thanks once again.

milchmann

Re: Itb's or carbs??? That is the question... I need help

Post by milchmann »

Everyone was a Noob once upon a time. Just to clarify: ITB's are for fuel injected motors. Since you are asking about carburetors as well, I do not think this is relevant to you. Thats a different matter if you are weighing your options between converting to a carburetor or staying with fuel injection.

What kind of motor is it? 4ac? 4ag?

Illinoisinc
Tourist

Post by Illinoisinc »

It's a 4age.

Thanks also :) I thought I was going to get flamed. I really appreciate it

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

No problem. People on this forum are in general pretty nice and accommodating to people of all skill/knowledge levels that want to learn.

My $.02 on ITB's are that they will not give you anything other than a pretty engine bay unless you have made major/extreme modifications to the internals of the engine and/or are running a turbo or super charger (where they can help keeping boost pressures across cylinders even if they are done right. ITB's should be the last thing that you worry about on such a motor as well. Things such as stroke, cylinder volume, Avg. RPM range, ambient air pressure for NA or boost pressure on force induction all need to be considered when selecting a.k.a "tuning" ITB's ... otherwise they are just flashy jewelry.

I will defer all carburetor questions to dr.occa who is the resident expert on such things ... there are others on here that are very knowledgable about them as well, but I stay away from carbs and thus do not really pay attention to those conversations.

Hope that helps.

Illinoisinc
Tourist

Post by Illinoisinc »

Thanks man.
I really appreciate it. Seriously :)

I think I will stay FI and see what I can do with this
Motor.

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Yea, keep the EFI. Does your engine still have the AFM? You might consider getting rid of that instead. They are horribly inefficient and rob the engine of power.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

Illinoisinc
Tourist

Post by Illinoisinc »

It's 100% stock....

lucky5racing
Tourist

Post by lucky5racing »

Illinoisinc stay with the Familly go Rotary....Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burdickjp
Tourist

Post by burdickjp »

The benefits of ITBs require quite a lot of testing and tuning. If that's available they can provide another method of tuning performance by changing the intake runner length. It really doesn't matter what else is done to the engine, ITBs can help, but usually there are other things which can help more for less investment.

If hours of tuning, data logging, and parts changing don't sound like fun to you, then don't worry about them, yet.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

@Illinoisinc, if you're seriously considering ITB's, but want to maintain the factory setup then look into securing an AE86 MAP based 4AGE engine harness and ecu (that's what they were in Japan). You can run ITB's all day long. You'll just need to custom mount the factory TPS, plug up your EGR doo-dads and properly wire up your fuel pump to energize appropriately.

Carbs: I personally believe that route would be more expensive, more work & parts and more time due to the learning curve required (if you don't have much experience with tuning them) for what you sound like you really want to do which are ITBs.

So from my first paragraph, you shouldn't need any tuning or data logging time with those factory parts. You just need to acquire the above mentioned parts and do a little bit of wiring and fabricating.

lucky5racing
Tourist

Post by lucky5racing »

Hazlo Rotativo y sales de ese dolor de cabeza...Jajajaja