4agze turbo thoughts...

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

86boy

4agze turbo thoughts...

Post by 86boy »

I have an extra set of FD RX7 twin turbos... also been tossing up the idea of an HX35 from a diesel truck... or should I stick with the tried and true path of the nissan turbos t25/t28 or DSM turbo? I for some reason like to take difficult paths, but I would like some input from the community.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

milchmann

Re: 4agze turbo thoughts...

Post by milchmann »

What do you want out of it? Crazy power? Super fast spool? Just a super loud blow off valve?

Ataki
Tourist

Post by Ataki »

This guy has an Evo X turbo on his 4agze.. It sounds interesting..

86boy

Post by 86boy »

milchmann wrote:What do you want out of it? Crazy power? Super fast spool? Just a super loud blow off valve?
Anyone who knows me personally... I don't care of what noises it makes or if it looks cool. If it runs like a mofo then I like it! lol! I've wondered what the twin turbos would do on a 1.6 L piston engine. One of those "just wanna try it" things, but then again it could be a complete waste of time although I already have a spare set of twins... I'd like to try and hit the 250-300ish mark. with room to grow. It's used for drifting so I'm aiming for something to start spooling fairly early for some midrange power as well. Since most drifting utilizes the power in the midrange than the top.

Basically all I will need to swap to a turbo setup would be the turbo manifold, turbo, injectors, intercooler/piping, and the downpipe. I already have the stand alone, and injectors depend on how many pounds of boost.
Ataki wrote:This guy has an Evo X turbo on his 4agze.. It sounds interesting..

very interesting. Thanks
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

Generally twin turbos are smaller and thus spool faster than the larger turbos found in aftermarket single turbo setups. You get significantly less power from twin turbos. BOV's are generally not necessary with factory twin turbo conversions, which makes them a little cheaper as far as parts are concerned. You take bit of hit on the low end with twins, but there is significantly less lag than a single large turbo. For what you are talking about, twin turbos are superior to a larger single turbo. All in all turbos are for people that want to mash on the accelerator and go as fast as possible ... unless you are one of those rare individuals that have the time and money to really tune the waste gate/BOV/compressed volume/length of the whole system. That is my 2 cent -- mostly not technical opinion on twin and single turbos.
That being said, without doing the math myself, or really knowing to terribly much about what drifting requires (I am an autocross and circuit racing fanatic), I would look into a super charger instead. You will get roughly the same power gains and no lag (i.e. nothing lost in the bottom end). It seems from what I have read and seen in various videos that drifting is mostly controlled by exact modulation of throttle and the clutch ... the super charger will be more consistent and thus superior in that category.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Thank you for the awesome response Milchmann!

yeah that's what I currently have (SC12). Unfortunately to upgrade it.... I'm looking at an upwards of $2-3000 for a new supercharger alone, and then have to do some crazy fabrication to make it work lol! That's the only downfall, and biggest turn off is the cost or i'd be finding a way to get it done. I've maxed out the current SC12, and the only thing left is tuning the stand alone I have for it. For the modifications needed to even upgrade to the sc14 the gains are not enough for me to do the work of swapping it over. I was thinking about throwing a small turbo on top of the supercharger and twin charging it. Then goes into a much more complex system thus creating more areas for failure. Clean and simple that makes power is the goal.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

@86boy:

Rotrex Supercharger for 20v. Shouldn't be difficult to mate to the 16v.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

hmmmm rotrex is effing expensive... Also most of the superchargers they have now-a-days wouldn't be much of a "gain" over what I have now with the SC12. Might be a little bit, but I'd just do an SC14. Need a much bigger output. Looking to hit the 300-ish mark the next upgrade I do after Haltech is tuned. Which is getting close btw. I'm finally getting that crap figured out. haha
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/