Turbo upgrade

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

teca

Turbo upgrade

Post by teca »

Hi can anyone share some pointers on upgrading stock gts to turbo not looking to drift but would like some more power. already have haltech sprinter 500,have a tranny custom to fit from a 1980 celica. need help with injectors,pistons,cams ect. if you can give brands will apprecciate it.. Have some $$$$ put away for the project.

86boy

Re: Turbo upgrade

Post by 86boy »

well there's lots of options you can go with at this point in time. Everyone claims "just a little extra power", but in reality once you get your goal... you'll want more. SOOOO be sure to accommodate for more power down the road earlier.. if that makes sense. That way if you want more power the main engine is already built to handle the power. Since you already have a stand alone you are ahead of the game with the tuning side.

I'd imagine running a few pounds of boost from a smaller turbo will be alright on a stock motor, just make sure your fuel is there with a good tune. For a "little extra power" then asking about pistons, cams etc sound more like building a motor to me.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Turbo upgrade

Post by dr.occa »

If it's the original engine or unknown condition then you'll be ushering in its even earlier need for a rebuild.

If you're on a budget you can look into 4AGZE injectors, the fuel pump and an FMU (properly proportioned) for a few pounds but since you've already got the Haltech, first make sure you have a bead on a reliable shop with a good dyno and tuner. Then you can go with say the MKIII injectors and again the fuel pump from the same model (turbo Supra of course) but for only 8lbs of boost at most. Maybe 10lbs but in my humble opinion that's at the cusp of it.

Consider a crank girdle for a future serious build. Also, don't cheap out on the waste gate and bov. When purchasing name brand pieces be sure they aren't knock-offs. It's best to go with authorized dealers of say HKS, Greddy, etc...which you can confirm through contacting them. Go with good hosing, beaded piping, fittings and braided oil lines. Don't forget a good boost gauge and make it a point to afford a wide band at the least if you're not going to invest in even a single EGR gauge at the collector.

Have you settled on a turbo manifold? A simple log manifold (thick wall) is the best bang for your buck IMO. That should get things started.