Vacuum Question

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BeanBone
Tourist

Vacuum Question

Post by BeanBone »

Got some newbie questions. As I was installing my intake (which called for some vacuum connections), I noticed a few vacuum lines plugged up on my supposedly JDM 16v engine. Here's a picture:

Where did these go originally?

Also, the the vacuum switching valve on the MAF shown in the instructions seems to be absent on my car.

Is there any downside to these modifications? Should I replace them, or is this just someone removing useless emissions crap? Could this have anything to do with my rough running on cold start?

joel26
VIP Member

Re: Vacuum Question

Post by joel26 »

I think the circle on the left is for the a/c idle up or something like that and the one on the right on my car goes to the switch on the maf.. but since urs is jdm i might be wrong but i am sure some one will chime in soon... hope it helps what i said or make sense...

BeanBone
Tourist

Post by BeanBone »

Makes sense. Car was running with the booty intake setup it had on it, so I'm just going to hook this thing up as is, and I guess block the vacuum port on the intake for now. Can't be any worse than what was on there.

Ugh, this particular car feels a little thrown together and rough. It's going to be a project fixing everything. Guess that's why I could afford it, though!

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

No worries all 86 always need money put in them :haha:

BeanBone
Tourist

Post by BeanBone »

I put the intake on and capped the vacuum line with one of those fancy 50 cent rubber caps. Not sure if it's luck or if it's because I warmed the motor up this morning, but the usual rough running at start I have for 30sec-1min was gone and she settled into a nice idle all by herelf. Usually I have to feed it gas and it sputters, then catches after a while. Here's hoping this addressed that issue. Knowing my luck, though...

Here's a quick and dirty Instagram vid of the two back-to-back: http://statigr.am/p/509540751532249822_238207707

Guess I'll put the vacuum stuff on the long list of "shit to worry about later". Now, to see to that oil leak...

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Do us a favor Bean and watch it for the next week then report back if that was the solution or not.

BeanBone
Tourist

Post by BeanBone »

dr.occa wrote:Do us a favor Bean and watch it for the next week then report back if that was the solution or not.
For sure. I'm going to fire it up in the AM. I'll report back if it's smooth or chunky. If it's smooth, I'll watch it this week and report back.

BeanBone
Tourist

Post by BeanBone »

Just went out to start it up, it started up nicely and settled into a nice idle with no pedal input. Looks like *fingers crossed* my rough start was from air leaking from the booty old intake or something else wrong with it. Feels good, man.