4age 16v with nitrous pros and cons.

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Mexd1_Sicario
Tourist

Re: 4age 16v with nitrous pros and cons.

Post by Mexd1_Sicario »

( 0_0 ) 125hp shot!!!!!!!!!!???? sounds sexy!!!!!!!!
its a SR5... sooooo its still a AE86... nooooo its a SR5... aaaaaaaa whatever.... you still don't have one so HA... I WIN!!!Image

Mexd1_Sicario
Tourist

Post by Mexd1_Sicario »

soooooo this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-15974NOS-Mi ... 8b&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this i don't know what nitrous kit to go with on the R1 carbs. =(
its a SR5... sooooo its still a AE86... nooooo its a SR5... aaaaaaaa whatever.... you still don't have one so HA... I WIN!!!Image

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

YES that's the part. find a kit for a bike... probably best way since you're going to be running carbs. that or get 4 shark nozzles and plumb one into each factory injector hole. that's what I'd do personally

Mexd1_Sicario
Tourist

Post by Mexd1_Sicario »

http://store.schnitzracing.com/mps-spyd ... MgodkicA0g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is that what your talking about?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

yes but you'd need 2 of those, one for fuel and one for nitrous, or "T" in the fuel inlet to it.

Mexd1_Sicario
Tourist

Post by Mexd1_Sicario »

but that a dry kit =(

duz anyone know how to do a wet nitrous kit on some R1 carbs?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/WetKit.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

part number: 1-0417

kit includes:

3' Tygon 1/4" Fuel Line
NOS or NX Fuel Pump (Your Choice)
MPS Fuel Solenoid
1/8 NPT x 5/16" Hose Barb Straight Fitting
MPS Nitrous Solenoid 1/8 NPT x -4 Straight Fitting
2 MPS Showerhead Distribution Block
8 1/8" NPT x -3 fittings
2 8.5" Blue Coated Braided Steel -3 Nitrous Line
2 12" Blue Coated Braided Steel -3 Nitrous Line
2 8.5" Red Coated Braided Steel -3 Fuel Line
2 12" Red Coated Braided Steel -3 Fuel Line
36" Braided Steel -4 Line
8 NOS Flare Jets (Your Choice of Size)
4 NOS Fogger Nozzles

pretty much everything needed except window switch and someone to install it... go with the NX fuel pump.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

and you will need a longer feed line from the bottle itself as I doubt you're gonna mount it within 3 feet of the intake.

Mexd1_Sicario
Tourist

Post by Mexd1_Sicario »

thanks bro looks like i got everything i need.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

glad to help. read up on nitrous tuning before even hitting it the first time. I also recommend a bottle warmer and a purge kit.

Mexd1_Sicario
Tourist

Post by Mexd1_Sicario »

i have the purge kit on the list. also looking in to a the bottle warmer and automatic opener. ummm so i can hide the bottle and just turn it on with a click o a button instead of turning it on with a nob.

really looking forward to sparing some extra hp on the car.... when ordering pistons what material should they be made out off for nitrous?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Cast= weakest in terms of detonation
Hypereutectic= lighter than cast, will last +/- 2 seconds under hard detonation
Forged= slightly lighter than most hypereutectic pistons, will last +/- 3 seconds under hard detonation.

Mexd1_Sicario
Tourist

Post by Mexd1_Sicario »

forged with ceramic coated to. and do you think it a good idea to ceramic coat the valves?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

not gonna hurt.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I agree with McKenney in that you want to be a little heavier (richer) on the fuel side of a wet setup I still disagree in porting. Cylinder fill time is just as important. Nitrous is not really "boost" in the truest sense of the word. It still runs on vacuum. Though you open up a port and ENABLE it to flow more cfm, the characteristics of a flow bench is far different than the actual flow of air/fuel and exhaust gases. Though you can flow more liquid/air through a larger port opening, vacuum and specifically the Bernoulli affect is left out of this equation. What's important is ideal air velocity PLUS port opening given the stroke and the bore of the motor.

A simple illustration is a vacuum cleaner: put the knife shaped attachment on and watch it "suck" up a marble really fast. Now take of that knife attachment and see how much slower air moves around that marble to the larger opening of the vacuum tube. What we really want is the ideal port opening to the engine's bore and stroke to get the most cfm in at the fastest amount of time. The large port makes sense for a true boost setup but the "smaller" ports that toyota went to later on in both the 16v and 20v make far more sense in an N/A application. The smaller ports will also make more sense in a nitrous setup too due to higher velocity flow for the best cylinder fill.

Check out articles by "Motoman". He bests illustrates what I'm talking about and has winning and proven motorcycle race engines that support what I'm saying.

Now it's possible that given the bore and strokes of the V8s that the factory ports were way too small. So when they ported them, they ACCIDENTALLY created the correct ports. Think if the ports were already ideally designed for the engine and you ported on top of that. Hopefully some of this makes sense.

Anyway, that's my position on things.

FYI: Justin Hostek (supra_750) ran bike carbs on his last 16V plus a 50 shot all day at mineral wells back in 2010. The thing wouldn't die until he upped the dosage to 100 IIRC.