stand alone options besides megasquirt.

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

86boy

Re: stand alone options besides megasquirt.

Post by 86boy »

Haltech Sprint 500 or 1000 or adaptronics e420 or e1280... thoughts? $1-2000 is what I planned to spend and all 4 almost sit in the price range. either brand seems pretty damn good to me. Just not sure if I'd utilize all of the 1000/e1280, but I would like the expandability with future upgrades.

Any input between the 2 brands? I know there's an adaptronics floating in Texas, and some people have used the Haltech systems. Kinda leaning towards adaptronics e1280, but i'm not 100% on either brand. Sometimes I hate choices, but choices are nice. Input on these 2 systems would be appreciated pros/cons comments/concerns etc.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Both are good choices really but it's who's nearby that can tune either for ya Chris?

86boy

Post by 86boy »

neither. closest place for either one is 6+ hours away. So I'm going to talk to the local guy with the dyno here, and see if we can't "attempt" it. If the engine blows.... it blows. plus side for others is... the whole car will get parted out if it blows up.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

GamblerZ

Post by GamblerZ »

Can you send me small piece from your car? It doesn't matter what. That is all I am lacking for making a good voodoo doll of your car.

:various23:
'85 Toyota Corolla GT-S Hatchback DMG
'92 Lexus SC400 Diamond White Pearl (WTS/WTT)
'99 Lexus SC300 Millenium Silver Metallic (WTS)

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

GamblerZ wrote:Can you send me small piece from your car? It doesn't matter what. That is all I am lacking for making a good voodoo doll of your car.

:various23:
haha well Chris if your engine goes at least you now know why lol but i hope it doesnt and gets the tune it deserves
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Road tune it. Who needs a dyno? 1-2 more hp maybe?

Edit: I have noticed that when letting someone else tune your car, they tend to half ass your DD portion of the map (the center area). They take most their time with the left/upper portion of the map when in reality full throttle tuning is the easy part to an extent. In reality the whole map is equally hard to tune. Plus a shitty part throttle tune will kill your plugs and in term kill top end. Just be weary. That's a lot of dough to spend to watch it pop in one pull.

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

hotdoghogie wrote:Road tune it. Who needs a dyno? 1-2 more hp maybe?

Edit: I have noticed that when letting someone else tune your car, they tend to half ass your DD portion of the map (the center area). They take most their time with the left/upper portion of the map when in reality full throttle tuning is the easy part to an extent. In reality the whole map is equally hard to tune. Plus a shitty part throttle tune will kill your plugs and in term kill top end. Just be weary. That's a lot of dough to spend to watch it pop in one pull.

Ill agree with that unless you know the tuner well. I tuned a haltech miata and it really wasnt that complex. You got the wide band so you will know where you need to be.
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

86boy

Post by 86boy »

hahahaha alright well to start with where I left off. GamblerZ are you looking for any specific part of my car? haha I could send you a side marker light that will be replaced soon-ish when I get the parts that should be shipping out soon-ish....

goosh I do as well. I don't want it to blow... as these engines are starting to become hard-ish to find. Also I still feel as if there is some HP hiding in this engine that the stock computer is limiting me to... Yes i also enjoy using "-ish" and "in theory" as that's how most of my life is with my job in computers.

hotdog I can already tell you my corolla will not be road tuned. There is soooooo much more you can actually SEE with a Dyno. I'm guessing (not being a dick here or at least trying not to be) you haven't had a car on the dyno, or haven't had something drastically changed to have it tuned on the dyno. I say this because I thought the same thing initially. Dyno's are VERY handy tools. If I had the real estate and the money I would have my own personal Dyno. 1-2 hp... I was street tuning my cam gears... thought I had them setup pretty damn well at -1.5 intake and +7 exhaust. Put it on the dyno and it put down 137 hp and 136 ft/tq. After playing around with some stuff I picked up to 146.8 hp and 156 ft/tq. -1 intake and +5 exhaust. Wouldn't think that would make much of a difference, but hot damn it sure the hell did. I can spin out, and leave my car in second gear and just floor it and pull out and continue drifting. IMO Dyno's are amazing tools, and will be used to their full potential as long as I have access to one. Ya I have a wideband, but that didn't help me see the power curve nor what the engine was actually doing besides displaying a number for AFR's.

bt20v the guy here lets me make the adjustments, and cues me in on what it's actually doing. So it's kind of nice. I'm currently trying to unload my 240sx with the means of buying the Adaptronics e1280 or the Haltec Sprint 1000
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/