Engine stumpage. Questions yo!

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

hotdoghogie

Engine stumpage. Questions yo!

Post by hotdoghogie »

So I thought I was at the point in life where I am way beyond asking simple questions like these but this 4ag has got me by my balls.

This is my first 4a series build, and this car makes a god awful amount of valve train noise (ye' old typewriter sound). Car is super quite at idle and cruising around but say around 6k the engines valve train just screams and it kind of comes in fast, doesn't slowly initiate. Car used to start making it at around 3500 RPM but since then I have gotten it to slowly shut up. Sounds really loud under decel.

Recent remedies have been snugging up the valves to the closest tolerance permissible via Haynes manual, New HKS valve springs, a bit thicker oil but I'm not trying to mask it with gear oil. That's about it really, Oil pressure at redline is about 85psi, seems lowish but eh. Car is running stock cams BTW and cam gears. Is it just a noisy engine at high rpms, I mean they are solid lifters.

Maybe I can give someone a ride at a MW drift event who is a bit more familiar with the 4 series then I.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Engine stumpage. Questions yo!

Post by dr.occa »

Post up some footage for us to take a listen. 85psi at redline is normal.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

maybe its those hks valve springs on the stock cam.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Doubt it, the HKS springs I put in hoping it was a bad valve spring/s. Deff shut it up a bit.

I would love to post a vid but sadly I doubt most cameras can pick up such high frequency sounds. I have been listening to tons of youtube vids trying to get a hint and I found some that might be making sounds but can't be sure. Kind of why I threw in the giving someone a ride @ an event. Won't stop me from trying though, when I get my tune better sorted I will get some footy.