think i have a bad tranny

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

mbehrens

Re: think i have a bad tranny

Post by mbehrens »

Same issue im having with erratic timing on pully... you said you checked the tps did you move it at all . Because myes issue is the tps is out of spec ... To check get a ohm meter and check vta and e2 for .2 to .8 kilo ohms at, closed throttle and wot is 3.3 to 10 kilo ohms. Let me now if this helps...
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

Tps view
Attachments
Tps conector view
Tps conector view
IMAG0356.jpg (38.61 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

drift

Post by drift »

WOW!!! sweeeet. thanks for the post mbehrens. yeah, made a few adjustments on it but didnt get anything done :various27: what you post should help me alot. i was a little confused on how to properly adjust it but guess i was in the right track. again, thanks for all the help guys. il let you know what i find

drift

Post by drift »

this is what i got. closed throttle is .4 and open is 5.03 and still erratic. idle is good though with no bog what so ever.

drift

Post by drift »

so after i replaced the clutch slave cylinder which the only difference is the small pin that pushes the clutch fork was a little short on the old one.
started it up to let idle and get up to operating temp then it just started bogging and rev would go up and down like im stepping on gas and letting it go. after tinkering around i started it up and it just stopped. i then drove it up the street but while on the way back. i felt a vibration and knocking coming from the bottom of the car like a loose tranny mount. checked all the mounts and screwws but everything is good. i hope its not my clutch or flywheel again. i tighten everything down to spec.

anyone know whats the cause of the bogging and revving while in idle.

also if anyone might know of why im getting a knocking and vibration.

oh, the shifting still feels the same after i replaced the slave cylinder

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

sounds to me like your surging... could be bad catalist flow, vacuum leak, maf, tps, iac, and the famous air pocket in cooling system. sense you might be surging check for any dtc by triping out the diag pins and counting the check engine blinks. i know you checked alot of stuff already but you never know ...
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

also with the knocking and the vibrations. woundering how did the exhaust sound did you sim like lose of power as this was happaning ... you could of been misfiring which vibrated the motor and then rattled to make a knock noise . also ddi you check the center bearing ( movement, mounting bolts,) vibration could be drive shaft weight feel off lol.. and for how you say the shifting feels the same like not shifting well get a friend to step on the clutch and see how far the rod puses the fork. you may still have air and some of the best ways to bleed the clutch is gravity bleed. also back to what i was saying if the rod does disingage the clutch and your sure there is no air you best bet would be the master slave cylinder. which could be because the seal went out in the cylinder and the fluid is bybassing the fluid not creating enough pressure no pressure no force to move shift fork ...

let me know what you find.
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

drift

Post by drift »

thanks mbehrens. im gonna go through every nut and bolt tomorrow. im thinking the revving while idle is air in the coolant since everything looks to be good. gonna change out o2 sensor also. dont think its ever been changed out. ill let you guys know what i find or dont:b

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Mark's another great guy who knows his way around 86s and cars in general.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

what happens when you unplug the tps? mine is unplugged right now and the car runs fine... I daily mine.

drift

Post by drift »

Runs bad when i unplug the tps and/or the maf. I have anothe tps sensor ill try. Thinking the tranny is going out but gonna check a few things first before i pull the tranny again. Gonna try retarding the dizzy a teeth to see if i can get the timing straight. Ill keep everyone updated.

drift

Post by drift »

Ok, so this is what i found.
Adjust the clutch pedal and now its a little smoother going into gear but grinds when i try to put it into reverse. I have to put it into 1st then reverse for it to go smoothly into reverse. Also, it sounds like the clutch is not holding good when moving in reverse and wants to jump out.

Found that my 02 sensor is probably bad cause its really dirty.

I drove it on the highway and while picking up speed it felt like it just fuel cuts. I would have to let go of the gas pedal and let it drop rpm berfore i can step on gas and get power again. It happens when i get on it or clutch kick it. Thinking it might have something to do with the 02 sensor or my fuel pump.

So what do you guys think. Im gonna try replacing the 02 sensor but short on cash so ill have to wait till payaday :(

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

unplug the o2 and see what it does. still kinda sounds like a bad maf to me. my car did that when I got . it'd hit 5k rpms and it was like hitting a rev-limiter. and at any rpm if I gave it full throttle.

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

The o2 sensor is pretty easy to diag... Check for codes the system is a ob1 system which checks for shorts and opens in the may ok nd sensors o2 mafia tps and so forth so if you have a o2 code then its bad ...gotta love the simplicity of obd1
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

drift

Post by drift »

02 sensor is good. not getting any codes at all. i put the other tps on and its dont fuel cut anymore. so it must of been the tps. funny cause it seems to be working good. when i unplug it itll misfire and/or when i adjust it but glad i got the fuel cut issue done.

now onto the tranny. it still doesnt seem to pull that good like the clutch is slipping or not holding good. its a new clutch, flywheel and all. maybe the release bearing? clutch is still biting really high too. like right when im about to let go of clutch peddle. its going into gear a little better since i adjusted the peddle a bit but if i shift it to fast then it would grind. still getting a knocking noise right when i shift it into gear and it happens on all the gears. feels like a loose tranny mount but i checked it and its on good. drive shaft is on good also.

timing is still erratic but im gonna clean my other throttle body and switch it out and see if that helps.

other than that. the car drives good with no issue now. it just feels a sluggish to me or maybe its cause ive been around cars with a lot more hp and now going back to my 120hp car just makes it feel that way :? :tehehe: