think i have a bad tranny

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

drift

think i have a bad tranny

Post by drift »

ok guy, im through with my 4agze swap. i had put my stock motor back in but now its having a hard time going into gear. plus it only revs up to 5.5 to 6 thousand rpm. ive checked everything that i think could be wrong like tps, maf, dizzy, timing, fuel, but eveything is fine. the engine and tranny was fine when i pulled it out. please, if anyone can help that will much apreciated.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Re: think i have a bad tranny

Post by ga_goosh »

maybe your clutch? is it new/used? did you bleed it out correctly? that could keep it from going into gear. not sure what would keep it from reving tho.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

drift

Post by drift »

i dont think it my clutch since its a new clutch. i talked to a guy i know and he said that he had the same thing happened and it turned out to be his slave cylinder but it was on a miata. i have a new slave cylinder but he also said he did also and he got it from o'reily auto parts which that's where i got mines also. ill have to try and get a new one and go from there but if anyone has anything else or has had the same issue then let me know.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

I read somewhere that oreily has part numbers mixed up and they are selling ae82 slaves as ae86 slaves. the ae82 is 2.5 inchers long and the ae86 is 2.75 long and that 1/4 in makes a difference. i think mckenney posted this somewhere.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Te72 not ae82, look up one for a 1980 rwd corolla with a 5spd

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

drift

Post by drift »

wow, good to know but then it looks exactly like my oem slave cylinder. ill double check again to make sure though. good thing i didnt throw my oem one away :). ill also run to the auto store that i normally use and get one from them too if they have it in stock. if not then ill try and get an oem one from ebay.

again, thanks for the help guys.

drift

Post by drift »

oh yeah guys. forgot bout this also. if i let it site for a day or two. it wont start on the first crank. like its not getting fuel or something. but then after a few cranks the engine start and idles fine. anyone knows whats up with that?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

My 86 did that when I didn't drive it for a week. It's mainly due to the fact that our cars don't prime like newer cars. The maf controls our fuel pump and doesn't send signal until the flapper door opens. But our fuel lines are constantly under pressure.

drift

Post by drift »

is there anything i can adjust to maybe give it a better throttle response.

also, on the revving part. if i slowly rev it then itll go up to 8k rpm but if i punch it it only goes up to 3-3.5 rpm. im thinking it has something to do with my maf but then it seems like fuel also.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Sounds like timing is too far retarded...

drift

Post by drift »

Will chexk timing tomorrow. Maybe try restting it.
Thanks

drift

Post by drift »

ok, i bought had it with this car. timing wont stay on 10 degrees. tried everything other sites and what my manual said to do with everything(dizzy,tps,diag) and the rpm wont stay within the 800rpm. engine sounds really good though. just that it wont rev past 4k rpm. so thinking bought taking car out to a field and burning it now. thats how frustrated i am.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Swap another maf into it and see what it does. I have a known working spare.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

drift

Post by drift »

Think i have one laying around. Maybe its down at my parents place. Ill have to look. But wtf if this shit. Car revs in neutrial. Not good but it revs. Put it in gear and it wont rev at all while moving. Car doeant die though. It just rolls in 1st gear but when you rev it. Nothing happens.

drift

Post by drift »

ok, guys. after checking evrything out(MAF, TPS, dizzy). it was the dizzy. i had to advance it a couple teeth. maybe i could go bad one but it seems to be running fine. my only issue now is that when i have the timing gun on it. the mark is all over the place. even when in diag mode. evrything is exactly like what the book says also. then tried it in reg idle and its still erratic. anyone knows whats the cause. other than that i think i just need a new clutch slave cylinder and bleed my front brakes some more and the car should be good to go.

thanks for all the help also guys. all the credit goes to you guys.