A few questions

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

ascendantsword
Tourist

A few questions

Post by ascendantsword »

Okay, guys. Let me start by saying I already searched and didn't find the information I needed.

Here's my situation. I have an '87 SR5 coupe. I already have the following parts:

GTS engine harness, computer, AFM
4AGE (see below for info)
T50 (GTS Bell)
GTS LSD Rear end
GTS Fuel Tank (Missing the fuel hanger)
GTS Gauge cluster

Now, that said, here's my questions:

The only harnesses I have are the factory GTS engine harness and whatever was in my SR5 to begin with. GTS harnesses are unavailable in my area, and I don't care to buy them when I can run the required wiring myself; I build milspec harnesses for Hondas, and am considering doing one for my Corolla.
Here's what I'm thinking: ECM constant power, ECM switched power, Fuel Pump power (to a relay, obviously), and a speed sensor input. Am I missing anything here? I have a TSRM for the car.

I understand the 4AGE's computer requires a speed signal from the gauge cluster. I have the gauge cluster, I just need to know where the wire needs to go. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

My 4AGE was reportedly a hicomp engine. As I've been researching the engine, I've begun to suspect otherwise. The small-port head that would ordinarily be present on a hicomp engine (IIRC) is not there. It's a big-port TVIS head. There are no oil squirters, although the block seems to have seven structural ribs under the intake manifold. I've assembled the engine from a bare long block (meaning an assembled short block with head bolted on and absolutely nothing else). It also has a heat tab bonded to one of the freeze plugs, so I'm thinking it's perhaps a remanufactured block, and not a high compression engine.

T50 is pretty much self explanatory. No questions there.

The fuel system is my only other major concern. A local source has informed me that the SR5 feed and return lines are sufficient for a stock 4AGE (which is what I want to run) if modified. I have a GTS tank for the baffling, but am missing the fuel pump hangar, therefore I've considered using my factory SR5 pickup tube in the GTS tank with an external Bosch fuel pump mounted near the tank. I considered running it in the engine bay, but I prefer not to force the pump to pull a prime that far, regardless of efficiency. Does this seem feasible, or should I run new fuel lines as well?

Thanks in advance!

McKenney
VIP Member

Re: A few questions

Post by McKenney »

There were 7 rib bigport head equipped non oil squirter 9.4:1 bluetop motors made. Myself and bt20v both had these factory. Hicomp motors however are oil squirter 7 rib 10.4:1 compression motors. Chances are you have a 7 rib bluetop. Hope this helps

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

ascendantsword
Tourist

Post by ascendantsword »

Thanks a bunch! I'm thinking that's what I have. A 9.4 that is. The guy swears it's a "hicomp" engine, but as it's missing the oil squirters, I've been skeptical. I'm thinking I can run factory GTS injectors and either pull timing a tad or use higher octane fuel and be just fine.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

The bluetop are all 9.4:1 compression, that being said, stock injectors and stock timing will be perfect.

ascendantsword
Tourist

Post by ascendantsword »

Oh I was under the impression that there was another, lower compression ratio. But alright, ill try stock settings and see how it goes. It appears that I'll be waiting a week or so to install it, so we will see how it goes.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Bluetop 9.4:1
redtop 10.4:1
silvertop 10.8:1+/-
blacktop 11.0:1+/-
usdm 4agze 8.0:1
all other ze's 8.9:1
4ac 8.5:1+/-

where in Mississippi are you?

ascendantsword
Tourist

Post by ascendantsword »

Brookhaven, Ms. Thanks for the stats. Any ideas on wiring?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

you're out near 43 and old 84. Know the area well. wiring hit up dr. occa

ascendantsword
Tourist

Post by ascendantsword »

Yeah im just south of hwy 84. You know someone here?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

my cousin Bryan Craft lives out that way. Who you meeting in Magee for the Jeep stuff? I probably know them...

ascendantsword
Tourist

Post by ascendantsword »

Stumbled across fueling information. That's sorted now. Mckenney, PM me if you don't mind. Now the only thing left is wiring.