16v ITB Setup Questions

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

corollaman

16v ITB Setup Questions

Post by corollaman »

What is better to do:

1) Purchase the TODA Sport Injection Kit

http://www.todaracingusa.com/catalog/pc ... tegory=176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) AE101 ITB Setup

20V ITB: approx $200-250 (anywhere from here, hachiroku.net, or club4ag)

ITB Adapter, from T3: $250 (https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86 ... dy-adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Vacuum tank, golden eagle or blox: $50 (http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/index.php ... q7qmsmq506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86 ... tion-block" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Stand alone ECU: Which one works for a JDM MAP setup (Haltech, Greddy E-manage?, anything else)

Velocity Stacks

ITB Filter

Will the MS2 PNP work with a MAP setup?

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... 07dce701b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there anything else that is needed for this? If you do the AE101 ITB setup on a RHD corolla, how long can the velocity stacks be before they hit the brake booster? The TODA says 88mm, but I dont know if the adapter from T3 causes it to be pushed out more. Let me know. thanks everyone!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: 16v ITB Setup Questions

Post by dr.occa »

The TODA kit would be an easier install since all of the R&D has been settled. For management, either go with a map based factory ecu (I'm selling one for the hi-comp/smallport ;) ) or Haltech, Autronics or AEM. If you're handy with a soldering iron and you want more of a plug 'n play setup then go with the DIY PnP MS2 unit. Make certain you indicate the correct ecu pin connector layout...

Isn't your car already map though?

corollaman

Post by corollaman »

Yes, I have a MAP setup already. I just trying to get the entire thing wrapped around my head.

1) Would converting to coilpacks be better for a setup like this?
2) Do you need to change the TPS sensor to the 20v silvertop one?
3) Do you have to upgrade the fuel injectors/fuel pump at all here?
4) What is the best choice in terms of daily driving? 88mm velocity stacks, 63mm, or 33mm
5) for the money, is it a wise decision? Will it run better than the AE101 setup?

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

1) C.O.P is good for guys running higher rpm's. Allows more dwell time per pack since there is four opposed to one. Really has nothing to do with being ITB, any setup can benefit from it. I'm not cop, no issues. Running a heat sinked Mallory coil.

2) If you go MS2/3 you can run any TPS you like. I run MS2.3 and it is all that and more. This doesn't really answer much, you can normally get most TPS's to work but you wont get full range or too much. You could always rig up your stock TPS with some PVC pipe and some ole' backwoods engineering.

3) You don't have to but if you'd like an inexpensive route, all Honda cars come with 270cc injectors. H22 and type-r's use obd1 use 340cc I believe.

4) Theoretically the longer the velocity stack is the more TQ you will gain but honestly, the largest stock 20v ITB's you can get are 38mm, and TRD ITB's are 44mm if memory serves me right. Having a 38mm ITB's will provide you with a good enough amount of choke and provide a pretty decent torque band. So your answer is no, run whatever trumpets you'd like. They honestly wont make your car any less streetable. Now as far as the dyno goes, I have no idea.

5)Honestly, I could never justify spending 4 g's one any single part for the 4ag. For the money, the ae101 setup is the best setup out of the choices you gave us. Another great route is bike ITB's. Dirt cheap, good aftermarket support, come in an assortment of sizes, and sound/look cool. But this would force you to run a stand alone which I recommend if you plan on altering a 4age anyways. For 4 grand you could swap in way more capable engines like a f20 or rotary. For 4g's that's a turbo rotary setup lol. I'm doing a budget ITB setup as we speak and it comes out to just under a grand including wideband, fuel pump, FPR, GSXR1000 ITB's, injectors...ect. I'm still pretty new too it all too, coming from a carbed setup which is barely cheaper and not for the unmotivated. Going MS is really not that bad either and well worth it.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions as well pertaining to this setup.

Do you have to switch over to a MAP harness to run itb's on a 16v? I'd like to eliminate the flap if possible and I plan on using MS PNP or maybe Haltech.
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Using ITBs and a stand alone you'll need to run map.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

So what harness do I need?
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Going stand alone? Then you'll put your own harness together. If you plan to run the JDM map setup then you may want to look into the hi-comp, smallport map harness and ecu. I've got the ecu for sale if you're serious about going that route.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Well shit, I was hoping I could just buy a harness. I wonder if Dr. Tweak makes one.

Do you have a link to said ECU
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Haltech platinum sport 1000 comes with a flying lead kit that includes a relay/fuse box to make your own harness. All you have to do is cut to length and terminate your connector. Everything is labeled and made easy. I needed a way to go backwards and run the stock ecu until I get everything figured out with this haltech system. So I made a jumper harness. Only downfall about the GZE/7mgte Ignition system is the multiplexing and no aftermarket system supports that.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

ummyeah
Tourist

Post by ummyeah »

Here's my setup. I use ae101 itb/t3 adaptor/sq engineering plate and stacks/itg air filter/MS2 PNPImageImage

Pay no mind to wiring mess its all sorted now. Haven't taken recent pics.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

^^^^^^^^^ Looks good........

ummyeah
Tourist

Post by ummyeah »

Preciate it sir. The MS is plug right in. All you have to do is open the case of it and flip a switch, then jump 2 wires together on the usdm AFM plug and its ready to read map. Vac line goes to the ecu itself so it makes everything really simple....

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

Flipp
Tourist

Post by Flipp »

so you have to convert to a MAP setup to run ITB's or are you guys saying to make sure to convert your aftermarket management to use the MAP setup?

ima getting a set of silvertop ITB's, the T3 adaptor plate, Stacks, vacuum block, and ima be using the MSPNP setup. planning to use all this on my USDM high comp red top. am i missing anything?
∧,,∧
 (;`・ω・)  。・゚・⌒)
 /   o━ヽニニフ))
 しー-J

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

MAP is necessary to run ITB's. You could go MAF with ITBs but you'd need a manifold to go over the stacks then you've kind of undone the visual aspect of ITBs.