Engine build questions

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

ummyeah
Tourist

Engine build questions

Post by ummyeah »

I have acquired another 16v engine to start my build. I have ordered several parts alreadyn including arp hardware, trd headgasket, hks cams and valve springs, ae101 itbs and a t3 adaptor plate, golden eagle vacuum manifold, and some other misc. Pieces. I have much more parts to get I know but I have a few questions.

What should I do with valvetrain? As far as the lifters and shims is there a shimless kit or should I stay oem and order shims sized accordingly from toyota?

How do I increase oil flow? Just by porting the pump a bit and changing the spring? Or is there a high volume gear for the 16v

Who makes high flow injectors? And an adjustable fpr for the 20v itb?

Anyone checked out/used the megasquirt 2 plug in for the ae86? I'm considering running that

What size and cr piston would you recommend? (I have the trd .8 hg)

And any info in general about these engines would be helpful. I want to make it awesome.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2

mooreofit
VIP Member

Re: Engine build questions

Post by mooreofit »

cams specs needed to figure out if you need shim under.

compression depends on how much you want to spend on gas and if you dd your car.

if your going for an all out build theres plenty of info online reguarding this motor including toyota atlantic specs and parts. these motors wont make much more than 240 hp n\a. and this takes quite a bit of compression, huge cams alot of headwork and supporting mods.

megasquirt is great theres a write up on diyautotune. but the problem is no knock sensing or whats available is poor. j&s safeguard has an excellent unit thats works identicle to gm's delphi computors. im sure you could get them to communicate together.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

ummyeah
Tourist

Post by ummyeah »

Cam spec 272 intake 264 exh. Hks cam with hks springs as well. Was considering mahle or ross pistons. Will be a dd.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

How much oil are you wanting?! Mine right now is hitting 75 pounds of pressure cruising at 65 MPH aka 4300 rpms. about 30-35 pounds at idle fully warm.
Last edited by 86boy on Sun May 06, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

1.(What should I do with valvetrain? As far as the lifters and shims is there a shimless kit or should I stay oem and order shims sized accordingly from toyota?)
For a 272 cam OEM shims are fine as long as you keep the revs within reason. As for the shims, go to the JY and rob all the shims you can. 4afe's use the same shims & buckets as we do. Shims are $9 each from the stealership. Used one are just as good and will cost maybe as much for 50 as 1 new.

2.(How do I increase oil flow? Just by porting the pump a bit and changing the spring? Or is there a high volume gear for the 16v)
If you can the post mod gears are prefered. Go here http://superhachi.com/theory/oilpump/

3.(Who makes high flow injectors? And an adjustable fpr for the 20v itb?)
Everyone and everyone. Google!

4.(Anyone checked out/used the megasquirt 2 plug in for the ae86? I'm considering running that)
MS is awesome, use it. Stock wiring isn't, lose it.

5.(What size and cr piston would you recommend? (I have the trd .8 hg))
You need to do more research my friend. .5mm with a decked head/block wont even make your engine interference. So anything.

And any info in general about these engines would be helpful. I want to make it awesome.

It already is awesome!

ummyeah
Tourist

Post by ummyeah »

Well with the oil I will be using a new oil pump and I want it to flow more, not just increased pressure. I am aiming for building a top shelf engine. Ordered a setrab oil cooler and lines for future use. What would be a resonable limit for cr as far as keeping it tuned on 93 pump gas?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

A stock Aisin oem oil pump is what 86boy is running, I know, I sold it to him. Thats plenty, too much volume will drain the pan before oil has time to return and you'll starve the motor of oil. Trust me, the oem one is fine for 45+ minutes of straight rev limiter action...

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Here's what I recommend for a "top-shelf" motor for stability:

-High lift cams
-shimless buckets (yaris)
-ladder brackets for bottom end
-custom windage tray w/ separating plates between each rod/crank section
-teflon scraper at 0 clearance (the teflon will uniquely form to components it comes in contact with)
-coat windage tray and inside of pan with oil-shedding coating
-accusump
-baffled and widened sump (pwr/performance gains makes the weight gains negligible - optionally add heat fins to extremity of pan)
-oil pump from AE92 GTS/Geo Prizm GSi
-electric water pump to remove parasitic drag & maintain optimum coolant flow
-Unified valve cover either custom one piece or fabricated conjoining of both covers.
-over-sized valves
-3 angle valve
-port match (and polish if you're injected)
-remove/smooth over valve joggles in combustion chamber to further minimize hotspots
-remove all extra casting material from head and block - especially areas where oil returns to the pan.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

I keep reading about these ladder brackets.... I'll have to look into them.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

Mexd1_Sicario
Tourist

Post by Mexd1_Sicario »

i love the ' it already is awesome'" comment. :snicker:

hotdoghogie wrote:1.(What should I do with valvetrain? As far as the lifters and shims is there a shimless kit or should I stay oem and order shims sized accordingly from toyota?)
For a 272 cam OEM shims are fine as long as you keep the revs within reason. As for the shims, go to the JY and rob all the shims you can. 4afe's use the same shims & buckets as we do. Shims are $9 each from the stealership. Used one are just as good and will cost maybe as much for 50 as 1 new.

2.(How do I increase oil flow? Just by porting the pump a bit and changing the spring? Or is there a high volume gear for the 16v)
If you can the post mod gears are prefered. Go here http://superhachi.com/theory/oilpump/

3.(Who makes high flow injectors? And an adjustable fpr for the 20v itb?)
Everyone and everyone. Google!

4.(Anyone checked out/used the megasquirt 2 plug in for the ae86? I'm considering running that)
MS is awesome, use it. Stock wiring isn't, lose it.

5.(What size and cr piston would you recommend? (I have the trd .8 hg))
You need to do more research my friend. .5mm with a decked head/block wont even make your engine interference. So anything.

It already is awesome!
its a SR5... sooooo its still a AE86... nooooo its a SR5... aaaaaaaa whatever.... you still don't have one so HA... I WIN!!!Image