sr5 gas tank to gts tank ????/ found one

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

87inaustin

sr5 gas tank to gts tank ????/ found one

Post by 87inaustin »

found the gas tank i end up buying a gts gas tank from a member thanks 86garage
Last edited by 87inaustin on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aj.hudson

Re: sr5 gas tank to gts tank ????/

Post by aj.hudson »

Its hard to understand what you are asking, Please think about the question you are trying to ask and write using understandable sentences.
If you are trying to ask if the gts fuel pump hanger and assembly will fit into the sr5 tank the answer is no.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

aj.hudson wrote:Its hard to understand what you are asking, Please think about the question you are trying to ask and write using understandable sentences.
If you are trying to ask if the gts fuel pump hanger and assembly will fit into the sr5 tank the answer is no.
the fuel pump bracket and pump assembly does fit in sr5 tank and can be used wit sr5 fuel lines i been running my car this way since who knows when it runs perfectly fine only difference is the gts tank had a baffle to help pump from starving on hard corning but that only a problem with the sr5 tank if ur below a quarter of a tank. you can go in club4age or try your local toyota dealer , on club4ag look for dude named Joe4ag he can get u the fuel pump bracket assembly that u need then all u need to do is pick up a fuel pump bolt it up and drop it in tank and ur good to go

o and as of fuel lines use the two larger lines one to from pump to fuel filter and other as return back to tank third small line dump to charcoal canister or just leave it be just dont cap it its breather for the gas tank and you done

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

Okay I got it wrong then... I assumed when I was told do not do it it wouldnt fit..

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

The tanks between the gts and sr5 are identical except for the baffling in the gts'.

Fuel lines should also swapped out if going injected on an sr5

OR

run larger hoses for fuel of course.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

dr.occa wrote:The tanks between the gts and sr5 are identical except for the baffling in the gts'.

Fuel lines should also swapped out if going injected on an sr5

OR

run larger hoses for fuel of course.
honsetly is optional u really dont need to if ur on budget and key words "should be changed" but not necessary plus gts fuel line are a bitch to find sometimes like i said before mine has been running with sr5 line and it works perfectly fine with no issue i post a video if u like and show u guys
Last edited by luisae86 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

if ur lookoing to make the car a complete factory looking swap then yea do the lines as well if not and dont care or on budget then leave it sr5 thats my opinion i was on budget build though i did come across gts lines but just didnt bother when i found out there basically the same shit just use the two larger ones there same size as the lines used in a gts

ps im not trying to beat on anyone elses post bout having to change the lines or tank just saying it can be done without doing so

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I stand by the fuel line change to a step up in size for a fuel injected setup for dependable fuel delivery in volume and pressure.

Carbureted fuel needs only 3-4 psi where as fuel injection is at least 10 times that.

I highly advise changing the SR5 fuel delivery lines to the same size as the GTS delivery lines.

I run a bypass type of fuel delivery on my duel side draft setup on my hi-comp. The chassis is an SR5 with the factory fuel delivery and return. The return line was way too small to maintain a consistent 3 psi and this is just on a return line. Upgrading the line to a 3/8" fuel line solved the issue.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

well im speaking of stock 16v setup with intake manifold no sidedrafts, carbs or nothing , those obviously need bigger fuel lines and can understand were u are coming from but if one is on a budget it does work at least with stock setup with no issues unles line is clogged

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Fuel will still be delivered to the injectors through the smaller fuel line BUT I highly advise against staying with it in the long run and especially for any spirited driving. There's a very good reason for the difference in the hard fuel line sizes between the SR5 4AC and the GTS 4AG and that difference has greatly to do with proper fuel volume and pressure delivery and application to offset premature component failure and dependable engine performance.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

i can understand that but i could careless for this motor im gonna beat the piss out of it next summer till it blows then its sr20 swap which is when ill be changing my lines and fuel pump then ill be going wit AN lines and fittings my car isnt a daily i know for alot of pple it is which i would never do period this is my track rat and beater nothing more but as i said before i can understand what you mean, but i do know several pple the been running sr5 lines for years and havent had a single issue some till this day, everyone has there opinion and thoughts im happy to have shared mine here with you guys and respect your thoughts and opinions yes lots reccomend against using sr5 lines for several reason but im just stating that fact that it is possible to run them with no issues and there are many pple that have but when it comes down to it to each is own and whatever each individual is happy with

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: sr5 gas tank to gts tank ????/ found one

Post by dr.occa »

I'm not trying to be argumentative but when it comes to performing modifications on a vehicle, it's not as arbitrary as what an individual's favorite color or food is that determines the PROPER method of accomplishing or performing a specific mechanical task.

For example: there's an actual scientific AND real world substantiated reason for why different hard lines are employed in fuel injection setups from carbureted applications. If it didn't matter and it were just about the "bottom" line Toyota would have just used the SR5 fuel lines for a one size fits all to cut corners and simplify the assembly line tooling. We know that that isn't the case.

People are free to modify the cars however they want. That's a given. No one is trying to force anyone to think and act like the rest of the "sheep" here. No one's threatening anybody else's individuality. That's not the issue but NOT ALL METHODS of skinning the proverbial cat are equally as good. The truth is some are poor and inadequate/inferior methods while others are better and superior. The quality of these paths are determined by real world observable outcomes. I don't believe it's right for us to give the OP the impression that the work we put into our cars is a careless and thoughtless task. It devalues the work of the original designers, the trust of the investors that risked their support, the ingenuity of the performance community and gives the impression that the public at large for the most part are suckers.

I'm not over thinking this. These are what we inherently know or should know in milliseconds as part of the cause and effect world we live in. Anyway, so that's what I'm getting at.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

i know i completely understood that before ur most recent statement

xorzero

Post by xorzero »

Bringing this post back from the dead, but i wanted to know what the major visual differences are from the SR5 and GTS Tank, is it only the baffles and if so does anyone have a picture of what that looks like?

Also what is the size of the GTS fuel lines compared to the SR5 lines?

And lastly. Trying to bring down the tank to see if it was baffled i ran accross a stripped bolt

I have a fuel starvation issue under hard cornering and gets worse the lower the car gets on gas. Currently i have been bypassing this by bringing extra fuel with me and continuing to fill up the car after a couple of laps.

As of right now, it looks like i will have to cut the line and reflare the line with a new banjo bolt. But looking for some help.
Thanks guys

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

xorzero, if you're serious about your weekend racing whether it be time attack, drifting or both and would like to resolve your fuel starvation in one shot - consider a surge tank setup.

You basically feed fuel from your main tank to a surge tank with a high volume/low pressure fuel pump. Excess fuel from the surge tank returns to the main tank via a return line locate at the top of the surge tank. Your high pressure pump is relocated to in front of the surge tank to feed your injectors. The return line from the fuel rail goes back to the surge tank from up top.

I'd also check that your in-tank fuel pump, its filter and itself is secure and not flopping around in your tank. Things may have come loose or it's time to replace the filter and pump.