installing carbs

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

drift

installing carbs

Post by drift »

hey guys, once im done with my 4agze swap. i was wanting to install some carbs on my 4age motor i have sitting in the garage.(these are what i have in mind http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KEIHIN-F ... 3f0dc4ed8d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). i am wanting to know what is all needed to get this thing up and going. ive been reading and looking online but theres not much info on these sets of carbs and im a cluts when it comes to theses things. i know a machine shop that will make me the manifold i need for them but is there anything else. like ecu upgrade or can i just run it stock ecu and wiring harness. i know ill need something for fuel management. are these just bolt-on's that will need a little tuning once i get them on? im a noob when it comes to these things but i can put 2 and 2 together :roll: . so any info is greatly appreciated.

taki
Tourist

Re: installing carbs

Post by taki »

running carbs means youll be able to remove all electronically controlled items like your ecu, injectors etc.

carbs run with jets/floats etc as the fuel injection system, youll have to either research how to properly adjust jets and level floats so that it doesnt run too lean/rich. make sure the manifold you get is properly honed, and should also include all the linkage for it.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Here ya go. That should get you started.

drift

Post by drift »

Thanks doc. I read that and the one on club4ag. Got a lot of info on what i am needing now. I emailed the seller of the frc carbs and he said that all the linkage, jets , etc is included in what he is selling. Now on the high press low vulome fuel pump. Does this meen i cant run the fuel pump i have in the tank right now(pump is off a 91 turbo supra). Now on the ignition. Whats the pros and cons of locking out dis and the msd ign system. Ive read on club 4ag that locking it out will make you hit redline sooner but correct me if im wrong on it. Would it be easier to go with the msd or locking it out.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Locking it out at full advance is overall bad for the motor. You'll have unspent fuel washing out your cylinder walls pretty soon and pre-maturely worn rings. Go with either a programmable ignition setup or an adapted distributor with mechanical/vacuum advancing.

An efi fuel pump pushes out too much pressure for you to properly bypass even if you were to employ the Aeromotive adj. low/high pressure regulator. A high volume & low pressure pump must be used or you'll constantly have fueling problems such as inconsistent pressure and flooded carbs. The FCRs don't need really more than 2.5 to 3 lbs (3.5psi is probably your max).

drift

Post by drift »

So a adapted diss would be one off of a 4ac motor but modified to work?
A programmable ignition setup would be a msd ing kit right?
Where can i get a high vol, low press fuel pump?

Sorry for such noob questions. I just want to make sure when i start buying or looking into these stuff. I wont buy something i dont need or wont be compatable with what i want set up. Thanks a lot doc.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Actually, I need to remove the 4/3AC recommended distributor. It spins the vacuum mechanisms in the wrong direction causing it to retard rather than advance as it rotates.

drift

Post by drift »

What do you think about the hyperpack ign setup. Is it any good. Im also leaning towards doing the distributor adaptor with mech vacuum. Do you have a setup drawing of that or know where i can get one.

drift

Post by drift »

dr.occa wrote:Actually, I need to remove the 4/3AC recommended distributor. It spins the vacuum mechanisms in the wrong direction causing it to retard rather than advance as it rotates.
Uhmm.. im lost. Please explain? I understand its not advancing but whats not?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

The 4/3AC distributor spins CCW: so the advancing mechanism moves the vr sensor in the opposite direction when it's put into the 4AG head. Instead of giving you an advancing timing curving you'll be getting a retarding timing curve. So, don't use a 4/3AC distributor.

drift

Post by drift »

Ok, thanks for the heads up

drift

Post by drift »

So should i just use the parts from the 4/3ac diss or dont use it at all?
What do you use on your setup?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Say "no" to 4/3AC distributors on a carb'd 4AG.

I run a Coil on Plugs with the Megajolt Lite Jr. programmable ignition by Autosport Labs. Best ignition system for the price.

drift

Post by drift »

Thanks, ill look into the megajolt. Have somereading to do tonight :)

drift

Post by drift »

Probably going to go with the starlet distributor. Megajolt lite looks to complicated for me.