options for pistons

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Clos
Tourist

options for pistons

Post by Clos »

Any Stand out Pistons for the 18mm pins anyone knows of? I got my hands on a Sweeet Crank, i don't mind the 40/18 setup. but i'm pondering 2 things.

should i bore the pins to 20mm, so i can use 20mm wrist pins?

or use the factory 18mm wrist pins?

prices are "about" the same for both sizes. I've read of people doing it, but i guess, is it worth it? to think out the rod for 2mm? Again my application is an N/A setup, no higher than 8k rpm. nothing crazy.

Rods, Any Options?

so far i've found pistons from:

arias (gotta verify pin)
Wiseco
Toda
ToySport (can make a set?)
Are the TRDs' still avail? and where can i find them?

Clos

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: options for pistons

Post by dr.occa »

CP pistons are a really good brand.

Mahle pistons are race proven and TRD endorsed for Formula Atlantic spec.

Both brands are expensive but top shelf quality.

Failure usually occurs at the rod journal on the crank. After market manufacturers whether 18mm or 20mm are superior to oem so in my opinion we're splitting hairs. The 20mm in factory form were floating wrist pin and kept in place with lock rings so already one less point of failure in the later design. How that translates over into the aftermarket manufacturers e.g. JE, Arias, Wiseco, etc... maybe others with experience with those brands can chime in.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

pm'd
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

Clos
Tourist

Post by Clos »

gotcha. i figured as much. i guess my curiosity to bore the rods to 20mm was b/c more companies make 20mm versions than do 18mm. i'm just worried about thinning out the rod too much. then i've thought about after market set, and bore those to accept 20mm floaters, assuming they'd be stronger to take it.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

im a wiseco guy ever since i bought my tm 250 when i was 14. never had an issue ever and an outstanding company super high quality product.

ive heard failure issues with the arias pistons.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]