Machine shops in Houston

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Force_Fed

Machine shops in Houston

Post by Force_Fed »

I was wondering who you guys use for machine work for the 16V heads. I need a machine shop that can do a blind hole line bore for the the cam journals. Reason I ask is because the head I currently have is missing a cap and has mismatched caps as well. I'm planning on buying new caps (or finding a donor head). Just looking ahead of time in the event that I do have to line bore the new caps, I need a shop that can do blind holes. Thnkd in advance for any help.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Machine shops in Houston

Post by dr.occa »

hmmm, that's a tough one. you can consider engine logics but i don't have an extensive knowledge of their machining capabilities but Chris the owner runs a tip top shop and Maaaad (aka Mad Brad) is the shop tech there.

i just met frank from rosenberg and he mentioned Harold's Automotive Machine in his neck of the woods.

you can also look into joey's engines 1127 w. 34th just north of the 610 N Loop.

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

Harolds is good but I know for sure they can't do it because I had this same issue a few years back. Couldn't find anybody local that could do it.

Ok, here's another question. I could take some half moon inserts and have a ~0.750" half circl bored into the back of the head to allow the mandrel of a regular line borer. Just drop in some half moons and seal that bad boy up. Just gotta find half moons sold individually.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

frank, i'm sorry. i'm an idget! i couldn't remember your screen name and here i am giving you back your own advice...doh!!!

i dumb... :oops:

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

i take all my stuff to joey's machine shop. but i didnt know brad had a full machine shop at his disposal.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

Problem solved... Found a head with the caps.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Force_Fed wrote:Problem solved... Found a head with the caps.
awesome. the best solution.