Somebody running coil on plugs on a Bluetop

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

nomuken
Tourist

Somebody running coil on plugs on a Bluetop

Post by nomuken »

Hi,
on my current 20V setup I'm running COP's, from some Civic.
Now I wanna know if somebody has COP's fitted to a Bluetop? Got a standalone ECU, so that won't be any hassle.
But what fits the plug holes, what COP's match the head,...?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Somebody running coil on plugs on a Bluetop

Post by dr.occa »

try 1zz, 2zz or prius, yaris, echo coils. if they're too short look at 2005+ tacoma coils.

one thing is being that there are no spark plug tubes, the COPs will rotate even with a single bolt holding them down. they'll rotate or swing like a play ground swing does. it may not matter but it could dislodge connectors or just make poor contact as they move.

try some 1" - 1.5" ID tube in the plug valley to help alleviate that if it's a concern.

virtual_bob
Tourist

Post by virtual_bob »

I believe the CAMRY ones will work too, and doesn't TOMEI use SR20 ones in their GENESIS setups?

Which EMS are you using?

Regards!

Bob

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

blacktop ecu.

sorry nomuken i thought you where mandm(mark) :oops:
Last edited by mooreofit on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

nomuken
Tourist

Post by nomuken »

I'm gonna use a Haltech E6X and I'll try to fit my Honda coil on plugs. I'll let you know how it worked out.

Does somebody have a fuel base map for a 16V on quads? So that I can brake in the engine before the final dyno mapping?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

really, any coil on plug will work so long as it reaches the plug. wiring is pretty standard across the board:

2 wire - +12v & Grnd
3 wire - +12v, IGT & Grnd
4 wire - +12v, IGt, IGf & Grnd

and depending on the controller all 3 types can be used on a 2 wire. 3 wire types can use both a 3 wire or 4 wire coil but a 4 wire ignition setup (using a stock ecu that is) must have all 4. this doesn't necessarily apply if you're running stand alone for obvious reasons.

nomuken
Tourist

Post by nomuken »

Came up with this solution, kinda redneck, but it should work:

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

very similar to how i have my coils mounted. the down side is they still pivot/pendulum around with the bolts as the pivot point. but they still work. i've got a solution already in the works but "unfortunately" i can't share it just yet but i'm sure some of you smart guys would come up with the same thing.

are those honda coils by the way nomuken?

nomuken
Tourist

Post by nomuken »

Yup, these are civic coils, got them for cheap. My Idea was to replicate the metal where the coils sit now, but to make the holes smaller and eventually fit a rubber grommet. This could stop them from rotating.
Upside on the civic coils is that they have a big rubber tip on the spark side, they sit pretty firm in the plugholes.

Will start building my 16V / ITB / Haltech loom this weekend, so wish me luck. And I still need a 16V ITB base map to get it up and running and drive the 100miles to the mapping/dyno guy.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

very cool. looking forward to seeing the final product nomuken.

Sam-Q
Tourist

Post by Sam-Q »

nothing wrong with that nomuken, just need a little bit of a trim on those threads!

Now SR20 coils are readily available and work well, they don't have built in ignitors though
-- My website --

http://s-86.com
Articles, Parts for sale, services, projects, pics...

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

Are you guys having a hard time finding 2 bolt coils? If so, you can use the coils from a 2.7L or 3.5L Chrysler engine. I have 3.5L coils on my Talon and they work flawlessly.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Force_Fed wrote:Are you guys having a hard time finding 2 bolt coils? If so, you can use the coils from a 2.7L or 3.5L Chrysler engine. I have 3.5L coils on my Talon and they work flawlessly.
hmmm, those can work as well for 2 wire coil setups. they're about $25ea new looks like.

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

Bingo. They're cheap brand new and the boots are about 6" long or around there. 2 pin setup make it easy to use and when 2 are wired in series the resistances of both combined is high enough that they can be driven with 1A drivers. This, of course, being a waste spark setup.