car dying weird issue

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

car dying weird issue

Post by daveskatesallday »

So earlier this evening I was driving on the highway and my car turns off on me!
I had my foot on the gas and it did nothing.
I looked at the gauge cluster and the rpms were at 0 not what I call a good time.
Anyway I was able to get on the shoulder of the highway, popped the hood nothing looked wrong or out of place I checked everything. I'm stumped maybe 10 mins of the car sitting I was able to turn it back on and it was driving like nothing had even happened. I have no idea what could cause the car to just turn off like that while driving.

It also turned off again when I was driving from my friends house back home

any ideas on what could be causing this? any help is much appreciated, thanks.

that was on the 9/12

it did it again today i checked grounds and everything im stumped anyone have any ideas what it could be maybe?
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

taki
Tourist

Re: car dying weird issue

Post by taki »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like a bad distributor.

you mentioned it turns on after cooling off, ive worked on cars with the similar issue once it got hot it shut off, then cooled and it started, they all had bad distributors.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

hmm it's a possibility but that's almost like saying if the car overheats you let it cool down and you can drive it again after lol but i was looking at this as well

"Another major symptom of a bad fuel pump is overheating. If the fuel pump gets heated frequently and within few minutes of turning on the vehicle power, it is a sign that the pump needs replacement. A bad fuel pump will also show signs of frequent stopping or intermittent breakdown. It will work for around 15-20 minutes and stop working. Once, the vehicle is allowed to remain idle for around 30 minutes, the engine gets cooled off and the pump functions normally. Such a problem is an indicative sign of a bad fuel pump"

im thinking this is a possibility seeing how i never changed the fuel pump out since i've had the car but aside from that everything is new im gonna change it out tonight and see if it solves the problem

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

also if it were the distributor were bad i heard commonly the engine may shake also misfire and have bad spark but that doesn't seem to be the case i'll know when i swap out this fuel pump in the morning though

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Check the efi relay in the underhood fuse box when the car shuts off. If its hot either your fuel pump is bad or the relay is.
Mine did the same thing and it was the relay

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

See, it's other people's experience like this that need to go into a new "Troubleshooting your AE86" new century edition.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

McKenney wrote:Check the efi relay in the underhood fuse box when the car shuts off. If its hot either your fuel pump is bad or the relay is.
Mine did the same thing and it was the relay
i'll check thanks im not sure i want to drive it anymore seeing how it's not so safe but if it was the relay were you able to turn the car on and off or once it went out were you not able to turn the car on anymore?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

I'd let it sit for a sec and it'd start right back up drive a little further...

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

k i was under the impression that if the relay went bad then you wouldn't be able to turn it on again either way i have a relay and a fuel pump just gotta get something to put this gas in if i have to drop the tank

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

when the car dies do you have any weird electrical issues, for instance will your headlights pop up but the headlights wont' come on?
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

hey this is a bit old now lol but yea i sort of did have some issues. What it ended up being was the coil/ignitor/distributor/tps all failed at different times so it was almost impossible to figure out what was going on but after I replaced all of those things it hasn't had problems since.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

daveskatesallday wrote:hey this is a bit old now lol but yea i sort of did have some issues. What it ended up being was the coil/ignitor/distributor/tps all failed at different times so it was almost impossible to figure out what was going on but after I replaced all of those things it hasn't had problems since.
good to know that u got ur car running... :mrgreen:

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

That's good news dave.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

joel26 wrote:
daveskatesallday wrote:hey this is a bit old now lol but yea i sort of did have some issues. What it ended up being was the coil/ignitor/distributor/tps all failed at different times so it was almost impossible to figure out what was going on but after I replaced all of those things it hasn't had problems since.
good to know that u got ur car running... :mrgreen:
thanks man :tu:

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

dr.occa wrote:That's good news dave.
yes sir, also i figured out those wiring issues from yesturday