bang for the buck internals... opinions?

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Clos
Tourist

bang for the buck internals... opinions?

Post by Clos »

So, possibly in the market for a con-rod set. Debating between oem 20mm, nice name brand set (excl. The fancy formula atlantic ones), or, some supposedly bang for the buck set. (I.e. god speed hbeams, ebay h beams, etc.) Wondering if anyone has used some of the lesser known h beams. Want to put a nice set of rods, but I figure, why pay 500+, when 250$ does the same. Its not like were outputting 400+. Wondering what some of you experts takes are? Use would be daily driver, and some spirited driving type use. Running oem 10.3:1 pistons, .020 over. Rods/internals getting scarse now-a-days. Thanks on any insight.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: bang for the buck internals... opinions?

Post by dr.occa »

The GodSpeed H-beams are very good quality rods. I've used them for a customer build. During balancing I found them within 4 grams (even less) of each other. The bottoms of the cylinder walls may need to be channeled for clearance. ARP 4AG rod bolts will not work with them. CP pistons, though a little pricey, are top notch as well. Well within 3-4 grams of each other straight out of the box.

Will Parsons has had pretty good success with a later model GZE bottom end (ceramic coated piston crowns) on boost. Granted his sees more severe wear and tear but knowing that it says a lot about a 20+ year old motor design.

Clos
Tourist

Post by Clos »

I Appreciate that honest insight. I'm looking into some gze bottom ends, but i'm figuring, if some of these "no-name brand" rods are just as good for our applications, why not buy a nicer set of rods instead of a whole bottom end. but it's all priced dependant of course. As i stated before, i'll be using facory .020 over bore high comp pistons, highly doubt any track racing, and no boost will be seem or rpms exceeding normal redline. So i may try out those godspeed rods for shits and grins. Try my Luck.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

ive ran the belfabs in my 4a for about 4-5 months probably 3000 miles or so. they came within .5g so did my wisecos. no boost but they have seen 8000 rpms a couple times.i will see if im trully happy after i finally get it back in a car under boost.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]