help. bp w/ wierd smoking.

Strictly 16valve engine related topics.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

4agshoob

help. bp w/ wierd smoking.

Post by 4agshoob »

first.....
85 corolla gts.

4age 16v big port. okay so i blew a head gasket back in the beginning of november. so off came the head , and i decided to do a mild port job on it while it was off (dont worry , not a rookie to this) so i basically removed the casting marks and played with the bowls and short radius as well as where the valve seats meet the bowls. had my local machine shop shave it down .054", to the point to where it didnt "teardrop" any of the coolant jacket outlets. new 1mm head gasket, cleaned the block with a wire brush to be sure it was free of any debris......

reassembled the head using original valves, re-seated. original springs, big port 240 intake cam , and gze 232 exhaust cam. adjustable cam gears set at 2.5 degrees advanced on the intake and 3 degrees advanced on the exhaust side , and timing at 12 degrees operating temp no connector jumped.....

oil catch can , valve clearances adjusted to be withen specs, polished the intake runners as far as i could as well as the TVIS plate and the entrance of the ports before the injectors. full egr system delete, header plugged, and intake mani plugged. i also used a very, very thin coat of gasket shilac to the block to hold the head gasket in place perfectly while the head went on....

running 93 octane just to be safe with the comp ratio increase, and started using 10w30 oil to make sure it will better aid in removing any remnants of any water what so ever left anywhere in the oil passages of the engine. going to 10w40 at next oil change.

okay , the car seems to be "steaming" at idle no matter what the temp. no it doesnt smell like coolant. no , not white smoke.... its been running for about a week now, and ive drove it back and forth to work twice for about 30 mile round trips highway driving. the car seems to have a slight blue/gray "steam" (i say that because its not quite a smoke) on acceleration/heavy acceleration. once cruising at 4500-5000 rpms (thanks to 13x8's in 155-65 rubber) the smoke goes away. but when i pull up to a redlight or come to a stop it starts to billow smoke, blue smoke.

i dont smell burning oil , its not using oil. its had plenty of drive time to be rid of any remaining coolant/oil sitting in the valley;s of the exhaust system. the valve seals were perfectly fine before doing the head, so i dont think thats the problem here. also the smell coming from the car is a smell i havent really smelled before , i know coolants, "sweet" smell , i know oils "burnt" smell, and riches "carbon" smell, none of the above apply here. it smells like a mix of too rich , and coolant, but not coolant...like i said , wierd.

also ive noticed i have yellow lugie/flem looking buildup in my line from the valve cover to the oil catch can , and also what seems to be condensation as well......

any help? tomorrow im pulling the plugs to have a look as well as checking compression, in the mean time , assumptions , diagnosis, opinions and thoughts are welcome....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
706-669-6578 EST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: help. bp w/ wierd smoking.

Post by dr.occa »

Loogie...!? That's quite descriptive...ewwwww. If it's too rich your eyes would burn a bit as well. Is it "billowing smoke" from the tail pipe? The "loogie" that you're describing sounds to be a mixture of oil and coolant. Have you ever smelled coolant and oil being cooked together with some fuel?

4agshoob

Post by 4agshoob »

sure if it was the same smell as the night the head gasket blew.... well today as i emptied the oil catch can it was half full of clean clear water, no coolant, or anything , didnt even smell like coolant. the "loogie's" were consistant in the water though.

i never run strait water i my engines. this boggles me.
706-669-6578 EST

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

sounds like you didnt line up your rings .is it missfiring at idle. ill pm you my phone number.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

4agshoob

Post by 4agshoob »

didnt mess with the bottom end , just freshened up the head. But its gone now anyway.......

Im guessing the water in the oil catch can was from where a tanked the head after porting and such (homemade tank: degreaser, boiling water, and whirlpool motion) just the remnant moisture being steamed out.

As for the oil smoke, the remaining oil in the cyliders from where i made sure they were well oiled while the head was off. Anyway problem solved now. Thanks for the input though =)
706-669-6578 EST

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

cool.pull good?
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]