Bit the bullet and bought an SR-5

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

yukesrevolver
Tourist

Bit the bullet and bought an SR-5

Post by yukesrevolver »

...that's cleaner than any all factory, untouched AE86 I have ever seen (in person). Bought it from the original owners (it was actually the wife's car, so I technically bought it from an old lady!). 87 white 5 speed, had a roof over its head its entire life. 88k miles, ZERO rust.

Meticulously maintained. They had a small notepad as their "maintenance log", with its first entry in 87 for an oil change at 3011 miles :D . Paint is all original and shines like new, it really does stun you (at least me) when you look at it in the sun. I'm not used to seeing shiny paint on an AE86. It still has the Toyota vin stickers all over the place: both fender, rear trunk, think there's one on the hood. Waxed twice a year, which is honestly all it needs when it see's an average of 3300 miles a year and is covered when not in use. Even armor-all'd the weatherstripping. Looks brand spanking new!

I could go on and on about how they took care of it. Well mostly. The engine and bay are dirty, but interior/exterior is perfect! Should be able to clean up the engine bay pretty easily. On to the pictures!

Within a few hours of purchase I already had my Dunlop t-e's and Colin Cross-fever's on it, lol.

Forgot about the OEM floor mats. They covered them with other carpet, so they're still perfect!

This is a dealer installed cruise control....first thing I asked about since I had never seen a cruise switch like that on 86. Debating removing it....

Engine bay could use some love, but who knows how long that 4A-C will actually remain in there....hmmmmmm?

And that's the crux of the situation....its so clean, I'm scared to really do anything too drastic to it. I want to keep it simple, and as OEM as possible. But I already miss my 4A-G, so leaning towards a 4A-G carb scenario. I would do a GT-S swap but I'm afraid I'll destroy interior pieces ripping the dash apart (done it before).

Also noticed the dealer installed mudflaps :lol: Was also stoked that the bumpers aren't those fuzzy SR-5 types. Did the 87's not get those?

joel26
VIP Member

Re: Bit the bullet and bought an SR-5

Post by joel26 »

that a clean coupe man... nice score....

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

:tu:

Very nice acquisition man.

Warren

Post by Warren »

man nice!

yukesrevolver
Tourist

Post by yukesrevolver »

Thanks guys! As I said in another thread, I'm usually skeptical about buying SR-5's because of the hassle involved with making them "proper", but as you can see, I would've been a fool to pass up this opportunity.

First time I saw the car up close I literally had the shakes for being astonished at how well preserved the car was. Needless to say the car soaked up a large sum of my settlement money (from the GT-S being wrecked), so I'm weighing many options. The original owners were compensated well indeed. The GT-S will eventually be fixed, the frame damage isn't too severe and I'm too attached to it to rip it to shreds for parts, sooo....hmmm. Will probably just turn the hatch into a track slut and do very little to the coupe.

As much as the stock SR-5 is pleasantly not as slow as I thought, I'm addicted to the 4A-GE, so I highly doubt in the long run the 4A-C will stay in this car. That being said, whatever I do, the swap will be done proper with no cut corners. It is really at this moment about how much work and risk I want to involve in the swap.

Carb'd 4A-G seems to be the best route in regards to fiddling with as little as possible with the car (realllllly don't want to take the dash out, I broke two clock bezels on the hatch when I did that, and I don't think I can get maroon anymore), but you can't deny the merits of going with fuel injection, especially because I can find the wiring easily enough.

I have a build idea, a sort of "Corolla GT" build, mimicking the Japanese GT coupe and the USDM Celica (ST->GT->GT-S), with a 4A-G and drum T series. Thoughts?

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

I like the SR5. I consider it the under-under dog.

drift

Post by drift »

WOW, nice find man. Up to you but to me. Thats just way to clean to do anything to it.

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

I have an 87 SR5 coupe ... with the fuzzy SR5 bumpers, so unfortunately at least some of them came with them.

That might be one of the craziest finds I have seen. Super jealous. It deserves a slot on a museum floor.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Thats the score that we hear about on forums as myths. Props my man. I would just keep it clean and dd the heck out of it
I like cars, food, and puppies.

demby123
Tourist

Post by demby123 »

milchmann wrote:I have an 87 SR5 coupe ... with the fuzzy SR5 bumpers, so unfortunately at least some of them came with them.

That might be one of the craziest finds I have seen. Super jealous. It deserves a slot on a museum floor.
Fuzzy SR5 bumpers? :?

I would definitely keep that car as original as possible, with cruise, original radio and a pretty fuel efficient 4ac, it sounds like a good 86 to dd.

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

demby123 wrote:
milchmann wrote:I have an 87 SR5 coupe ... with the fuzzy SR5 bumpers, so unfortunately at least some of them came with them.

I would definitely keep that car as original as possible, with cruise, original radio and a pretty fuel efficient 4ac, it sounds like a good 86 to dd.

Almost all of the SR5's I have seen have rough unpainted bumpers that the plastic deteriorated on ... it peals off like string from fabric. I have never heard it referred to as "fuzzy" bumpers before, but I went with it.

demby123
Tourist

Post by demby123 »

milchmann wrote:
demby123 wrote:

Almost all of the SR5's I have seen have rough unpainted bumpers that the plastic deteriorated on ... it peals off like string from fabric. I have never heard it referred to as "fuzzy" bumpers before, but I went with it.
Oh ok. Yea that's the first time I've ever heard that term.

yukesrevolver
Tourist

Post by yukesrevolver »

I can, without any doubt, tell you that these are just plastic bumpers, much like the GT-S bumpers. The front and rear USDM bumpers on my GT-S hatch were faded, paint missing, etc., but were not peeling any sort of plastic, nor were "fuzzy". So maybe it's just black painted bumpers?

All I know is that EVERY SR-5 I've come across before this car had those "fuzzy" front and rear bumpers. I only said fuzzy, because it honestly looks like something you'd see as carpeting in a conversion van.

In any case, I'm just glad it doesn't have that, and if anything, just shows that the bumpers weren't allowed to deteriorate to that point.

FWIW, the 4A-GE is fuel efficient as well, as long as you drive it like a grandma. The 4A-C is no exception to this fact.

Okie86
Tourist

Post by Okie86 »

Holy clean car man! My white hatch is original paint and can shine pretty good but that thing is like new paint. Good buy.

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Yea that is an awesome find, but idk about that 4a-c. Also, you might want to be careful with the wrecked gts, you could very easily have frame damage that may cost way too much to fix. Sure you could drive it, but if it doesn't steer right, I wouldn't recommend racing it. If it comes down to it though, you have everything you need to convert the sr5 to a gts. With a spare car, it's really not that hard. If you're mechanical at all you shouldn't have any trouble with it.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050