85 sr5 build ideas. Input very welcome!

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

rpholz
Tourist

85 sr5 build ideas. Input very welcome!

Post by rpholz »

So I think I've got a plan for the 86, decided not to go completely cheap and take some time on it.

Thinking silvertop due to them being slightly cheaper and a quick look at eBay looks like they are very abundant.

Haltech sprint 500 (I have it in my RX, which I need to upgrade to a 1000 for antilag)

12gal fuel cell in the trunk (again I have it kicking around) or gts tank, with a walbro pump

Gts rear diff, for disc and hopefully LSD

Things I need input on
What trans will work the best? Can I adapt a w series out of a truck?
Flywheel/clutch... What are my lightened options? ACT? Findenza?

The hood and fenders are toast, flares and cut out the rust? CF hood or find a replacement?

I like the j blood front nose, and it's pretty cheap so I'll be going that route.
Wheels, what's a good size? Also tires, I'd prefer a conti DW but I think the smallest they go is 16"

Brakes, are the factory ones decent? Carbotech pads for sure no matter what.
Coilovers, I'll be keeping an eye out on a good deal.

I'll be depowering the rack. And deleting the a/c
And eventually sometime the car needs seats... Mmmmm bride.....

Or should I go crazy, list of thoughts:
1nzfe, 64miles on it, sitting at the shop could be had for cheap
1mzfe, free, needs bearings and maybe a crank.
Ka24de, readily available... But nissan...
7afe(?) OMG everywhere, same with 4afe, but probly not worth the hassle
Ejxx, sucks in NA form, turbo PITA, brz 6spd laying around at shop.
More miata blocks laying around than I care to think about... And trans, but miata.. Bleh

Really looking for a direction as I can't make up my mind.

86boy

Re: 85 sr5 build ideas. Input very welcome!

Post by 86boy »

12gal fuel cell in the trunk (again I have it kicking around) or gts tank, with a walbro pump

Converting over to a GTS tank will also require fuel lines

Things I need input on
What trans will work the best? Can I adapt a w series out of a truck?
Flywheel/clutch... What are my lightened options? ACT? Findenza?

I have a Mark 2 Supra w58 in my corolla. Requires an adapter/spacers or a NiteParts Bellhousing. Driveshaft is either an SR5 AUTOMATIC front half with a GTS rear half. Supra front half are not a direct bolt up. or get a 1 piece driveshaft built.

The hood and fenders are toast, flares and cut out the rust? CF hood or find a replacement?

That's personal preference. That's almost asking what shirt to wear today. lol

I like the j blood front nose, and it's pretty cheap so I'll be going that route.
Wheels, what's a good size? Also tires, I'd prefer a conti DW but I think the smallest they go is 16"

You will quickly learn that anything bigger than 16's don't fit for crap. most people run 15's or lower with the exception of some that went the extra mile to modify the car/suspension to fit 16's on up. . the width/offset depends on your suspension setup. Megan Racing coilovers/Stance/PASS seem to have a width issue of only 8" wide with a 0 offset. With the BC Racing BR Type Coilovers I know for a fact 15x8.25 0 offset fits with a 205/50/15 tire with some extra room. Might be able to fit a 9" wide wheel with a 0 offset, but I don't have those wheels to test fit it.

Roll the fenders minimally with the 15x8's ET 0 also depends on how low you go. Where mine is at (ride height) to keep from rubbing I had to pull the front fenders out some, cut the bumper/fender mount. Remove the inner splash sheild, and beat the pinch weld over so the wheel would clear. still needs some other "massaging", but it works for now.

Brakes, are the factory ones decent? Carbotech pads for sure no matter what.

Brembo drill/slotted rotors and hawk pads are better than factory imo

Coilovers, I'll be keeping an eye out on a good deal.

I'll be depowering the rack. And deleting the a/c
And eventually sometime the car needs seats... Mmmmm bride.....

Or should I go crazy, list of thoughts:
1nzfe, 64miles on it, sitting at the shop could be had for cheap
1mzfe, free, needs bearings and maybe a crank.
Ka24de, readily available... But nissan...
7afe(?) OMG everywhere, same with 4afe, but probly not worth the hassle
Ejxx, sucks in NA form, turbo PITA, brz 6spd laying around at shop.
More miata blocks laying around than I care to think about... And trans, but miata.. Bleh

this is pretty much asking what outfit you should wear for the day, and at the end of the day that all comes down to personal preference. That really comes down to your car, your money, your time, and your goal(s) with the car. In my opinion if it doesn't make a NOTABLE performance difference it's not worth the time to swap it. Unless you are going for the cool factor then by all mean swap away.

Really looking for a direction as I can't make up my mind.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯