should i trade for f20c

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

drift

should i trade for f20c

Post by drift »

Might sound stupud and dumb on my part but I know a guy who has a f20c engine and tranny. He wants to trade me for my 4agze and a set of wheels I have. The only problem is its only the engine and tranny with no ecu, engine harness or cluster. My engine on the other hand, is a ready plug and play. Also, if I was to trade then who would be interested in buying it.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Re: should i trade for f20c

Post by daveskatesallday »

drift wrote:Might sound stupud and dumb on my part but I know a guy who has a f20c engine and tranny. He wants to trade me for my 4agze and a set of wheels I have. The only problem is its only the engine and tranny with no ecu, engine harness or cluster. My engine on the other hand, is a ready plug and play. Also, if I was to trade then who would be interested in buying it.

if its plug and play i wouldnt unless you just really want the F20C but otherwise after the trade you'll have to source out that stuff (extra $$ and time), P&P is so much easier to work with just my two cents :tu:
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

It's not just a simple drop in BUT it's a better motor and trans than your GZE sad to say.

drift

Post by drift »

Yeah, its a way better motor than the gze but then again im with dave on this too. I hate trying to source out parts and itll cost me more money(which I dont have and the reason he wants to trade me also). But I was also thinking bout trading him and selling it but not sure how fast I can get it sold(thinking $2500). Guess Iill have to weigh my option

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

drift wrote:Yeah, its a way better motor than the gze but then again im with dave on this too. I hate trying to source out parts and itll cost me more money(which I dont have and the reason he wants to trade me also). But I was also thinking bout trading him and selling it but not sure how fast I can get it sold(thinking $2500). Guess Iill have to weigh my option

It definitely has more potential in terms of making more power easier and is a bit newer in comparison to the GZE. I like the GZE mainly because it's a 4A, drops right in, uses the same motor mounts and trans. no sweat, With the F20C there's kits now where you can get the motor in pretty easy as well just costs a little more (from what i've been hearing). It all comes down to your power goals/wants you can push out 250-300whp out of a GZE or more but you can get more out of your F20C probably for the same price as building a GZE unless you can get good deals on parts and what not, it's a money pit in the end lol

drift

Post by drift »

Thats the thing. Im the type of person who likes to keep things simple and pretty much original or at least use a same car family engine for a swap. I dont really care for power but it would be nice. Thats why if I do trade the guy I know ill end up selling the motor instead of throwing it in my car and like you said. I also like the gze cause its a 4a motor also. But then again, you guys think someone would trade there beams for an f20c :b

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

drift wrote:Thats the thing. Im the type of person who likes to keep things simple and pretty much original or at least use a same car family engine for a swap. I dont really care for power but it would be nice. Thats why if I do trade the guy I know ill end up selling the motor instead of throwing it in my car and like you said. I also like the gze cause its a 4a motor also. But then again, you guys think someone would trade there beams for an f20c :b

well if you definitely aren't about power then i'd stick with the GZE personally im working on my GZE now and you can easily get 190-250whp with the right setup (turbo) I'm keen on turbo's rather than S/C's so I'd immediately ditch the S/C and since the block already has lower compression it's the perfect setup for turbo. On stock S2000 dyno sheets i've seen anywhere from 180-200whp which is easily achiveable in a GZE. With the S/C i've seen people make anywhere from 150-165ish. Good luck on your build :tu: Also beams is a sick swap I'd prefer the beams over the F20C :snicker:

drift

Post by drift »

daveskatesallday wrote:
drift wrote:Thats the thing. Im the type of person who likes to keep things simple and pretty much original or at least use a same car family engine for a swap. I dont really care for power but it would be nice. Thats why if I do trade the guy I know ill end up selling the motor instead of throwing it in my car and like you said. I also like the gze cause its a 4a motor also. But then again, you guys think someone would trade there beams for an f20c :b

well if you definitely aren't about power then i'd stick with the GZE personally im working on my GZE now and you can easily get 190-250whp with the right setup (turbo) I'm keen on turbo's rather than S/C's so I'd immediately ditch the S/C and since the block already has lower compression it's the perfect setup for turbo. On stock S2000 dyno sheets i've seen anywhere from 180-200whp which is easily achiveable in a GZE. With the S/C i've seen people make anywhere from 150-165ish. Good luck on your build :tu: Also beams is a sick swap I'd prefer the beams over the F20C :snicker:
Yeah, guess I should go head and drop my gze in since thats all I need to do since I found the first initial problem I had right after I pulled it out and threw the stock motor back in. Anyways, im totally the oppisite of you. Id rather have a sc than a turbo but to each his own. Yeah, im probably not going to trade him after talkin with you guys and weighing my options. I would actually loose out on that trade even though that motor has more potential. I would probably do it if he had an ecu and cluster. I can easily have the harness made but then again. I dont really want to do any cutting and hacking to my ae86

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

understood! the S/C has it's perks and downfalls, only thing is if you want to get more power the only thing you can do with the S/C is upgrade it or get a bigger pulley that's the main thing i dislike, with turbo you can easily go up in boost and tune as long as the turbo is up to task but either way S/C's are nice the power is immediately there since it's belt driven definitely a fun swap either way :tu:

Six1ohrollaz

Post by Six1ohrollaz »

I'd say stick with the gze unless u have an immediate buyer for the f20c! Seeing that the f20c isn't complete tho I'd just go with the gze u gota remember ur also giving up a set of wheels!

drift

Post by drift »

trade already happen if you seen my other post