modded 4k dizzy

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

drift

modded 4k dizzy

Post by drift »

so i picked up a 4k dizzy a week ago. finally got to work on it and here are the results

4k and its doner
a bit of rust but nothing evaporust cant fix
got both torn down and the 4k shaft milled to fit the 4age gear
rust free and all back together
not what i had planed at first cause i was going to make a bracket to bolt onto but then i got lazy and it came out better than i thought

still needs a bit more work and ill post up the final pic once its done but i need to get a few screws and maybe will add a small plat to screw 4k dizzy onto to lock it so i can just use the 4age bracket to adjust timing but we'll see what what happens.

joel26
VIP Member

Re: modded 4k dizzy

Post by joel26 »

good write up...

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

That's the way to do it. :tu:

Be sure when you put the dizzy gear on you line up the rotor under the cap at no. 1 similar to how the 4AGE is when properly stabbed in. Great to see initiative.

drift

Post by drift »

Thanks doc, was wandering about how to align the dizzy once I get everything together.

drift

Post by drift »

i used the spark plug holder from the 4age dizzy and cut up a small block to fit in the slot and welded it then drilled and tap a hole to screw the 4k in place which is also adjustable. not my initial plan which was very similar but then luckily when i open the box the dizzy and old parts was in. that piece fell out and was like "here i am. use me" lol.
here you guys go. wish i couldve taken more picture and done a better step by step build

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Good job there man! Now let's slap that in a carb'd 4AG head and see how your handy work performs.

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

very nice work that will solve a lot of problems for carb guys
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

drift

Post by drift »

thanks guys. i think the biggest problem here i think would be locating a 4k dizzy, finding a doner or chopping up your own 4age dizzy, and making up the spacer and drilling the 4age gasket inlet piece to fit onto the 4k one.

@ doc: thats what im wanting to do but dont think itll happen anytime soon. been looking around for a set of fcr or mikuni carbs and i came across some but then seeing how everything is turning out. ill end up buying a van(wife and i are expecting another child) before spending the money to get what i want, but i guess the hardest part is done.

if anyone has any question of my built then just ask me. ill try and to the best i can to answer.

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

The 4k dizzy will fit through the 4age one without having to cut the O ring section off. Less parts.
http://facebook.com/86levin

drift

Post by drift »

Yes you are right. I had already cut it out before realizing it but still had to make a spacer to stop any play it has since its not flushed on the side where the 4k mounts up to(which I shouldve taken a picture of). Maybe ill tear it down this weekend and take some better pictures and do a step by step in the picturess I take.
Last edited by drift on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: RE: modded 4k dizzy

Post by dr.occa »

JDM AE86 and I have one using a dist from either a 3TC or 20R. Can't remember.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

drift

Post by drift »

Dahm, guess I shouldve posted up before hacking away at it. I did a lot of searching online and couldnt find any other way than to make a bracket to where it mounted up against and when I started working on it. Everything just kind of came together. Well, I hope this helps anyone who is trying to do a 4k dizzy modification onto a 4age.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

What's the benefits you gain from using this 4k dizzy vs the 4age dizzy? I'm not up on my carb stuff, but this is interesting. There was some ingenuity that went into this.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

The 4AGE dizzy has computer controlled timing advance. No vacuum or mechanical advance at all. So for carb'd 4AGs, a mechanical advance dist. is needed (outside of standalone ignition of course).

drift

Post by drift »

Nice question there 86boy. Since im not to sure on that and thanks to doc for chiming in on that question. Only thing I could think of is that youll need that vacuum line but now I know why.