what do you guys think about these

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

drift

what do you guys think about these

Post by drift »

is this a good price and a good setup for a carb build
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLEX-C40-ADDHE ... 8303766%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

how about these also. has anyone tried running something similar to these and is it a hard build. the price looks pretty good also.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3879063319.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: what do you guys think about these

Post by dr.occa »

That's a decent price on the Solex set and they're just the right size for a factory 4AGE. The GSXR carbs can be had for cheaper on ebay as well. You'll need a custom mani for them but easily and has been done.

drift

Post by drift »

which one would be the better out of the two.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Surprisingly I'd say the GSXR carbs because they're really easy to rebuild, jets and parts are plentiful and there are a great many cycle shops that can tune 'em with ease. I'm sure you could just throw a rock and you'll find someone who could even show you how to.

drift

Post by drift »

lol, your right on that. theres about 4-5 bike shops within a few minutes drive from me where i can ask if i need help.

ok, now i know this might sound stupid especially for a newcomer to carbs but ive found a few good priced keihin fcr 41mm carbs and that what im really wanting to run but ive heard that they are a pain to tune and get runnning right without professional help. now, im i asking for to much by just straight buying the fcr carbs.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Do a search for Yamaha R1 carbs as well. Carbs aren't all that difficult to tune unless they're damaged or are in need of a good rebuild. When they're in good shape, all they do is meter the amount of fuel & air via jets (plentiful). You supply the proper amount of fuel volume and pressure and turn some screws. High volume low pressure pump is what's called for with a low pressure fpr (<- in some cases not needed).

86boy

Post by 86boy »

intersting....

I have recently found out again... I'm not to keen with carbs... Jonas when I get down there we are going to have to get together sometime about these things people call "carburetors"
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

86boy wrote:intersting....

I have recently found out again... I'm not to keen with carbs... Jonas when I get down there we are going to have to get together sometime about these things people call "carburetors"
Ha ha! Yeah, we shall. They're fun...okay, well I think they are at least ;).

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Carbs are on my list of shit to learn.... Like stand alone, fiberglass, bodywork, paint, server shit, VMware, etc etc lol need more tiiiiiiiiime!!! So I better not get killed/severely hurt over something stupid I have to much shit I wanna do
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

drift

Post by drift »

86boy wrote:Carbs are on my list of shit to learn.... Like stand alone, fiberglass, bodywork, paint, server shit, VMware, etc etc lol need more tiiiiiiiiime!!! So I better not get killed/severely hurt over something stupid I have to much shit I wanna do
LOL, im with you there on wanting to learn those exact things. let me know what you find out on all those and do a post lol j/k but you got the same list i do :tu: . i just dont have the time like you :(

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Off topic warning:

VMware is great but what sucks about it is when you've got several virtual servers on a single server e.g. Exchange, File Server, Print Server, DNS server, Proxy Server, Active Directory Server, License Server, etc...if you have a problem with the VM server then it affects all of those "servers" I mentioned unless you have redundancy in place. That requires repeat licensing (expensive). VM servers are memory demanding and work best with a multi processor board using multi core processors.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I'd also budget in SSD drives for quick access times.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Hahaha yeah VMware is taxing and expensive, but it is used at a lot of corporations. I've started to learn it on my own...just need to finish setting stuff up. I would like to build a new computer so it'll handle more, but I'm saving that monry to move down souf! I'm just ready to learn something else.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/