1UZFE VS. 3URFE

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

RotaSpinna69

1UZFE VS. 3URFE

Post by RotaSpinna69 »

After seeing the FR-S engine thread, I got interested in engines that may or may not fit in an '86.

I've always loved Brad Burnetts 1UZFE Corolla and I'm absolutely crazy about Aasbos RS-R TRD V8 FRS. I've also seen some video of an LS1 '86, but I like engines and chassis to be matching manufacture. That being said, it's safe to say I'm interested in a V8 swap :)

1UZFE engines out of the pick-n-pull are ridiculously cheap, but I currently have a 3URFE out of a new Tundra sitting around that I've been planning to do SOMETHING with. I saw Rado over at World Racing has the 3URFE in a MK4 Supra and that looks like a tight fit.

Looking at the factory Corolla body manuals, strut tower to strut tower is approx. 35". Not sure on frame to frame between the front crossmember. If anyone has that info or can run out and measure, please do :) The MK4 Supra is approx. 34" from tower to tower. Again, not sure on the distance between frame to frame on the MK4.

The 1UZFE is only 25-26" wide and the 3URFE is a freaking 31-32" wide!!!!

Discuss...I will supply pictures soon :)

Thanks,

Andrew

RotaSpinna69

Re: 1UZFE VS. 3URFE

Post by RotaSpinna69 »

Some more '86 measurements are...

Frame to frame between crossmember - approx. 30"
Firewall to top radiator support - approx. 29"

Jay_ATX
Tourist

Post by Jay_ATX »

Sounds like an extremely tight fit if at all. With the space taken up by the dual headers, the 1uz is snug as it is so with your measurements I have serious doubts it will fit. I imagine it would take a whoe lot on engineering skill to place that beast in there. The 3urfe sounds more like a baller a$$ Cressida swap to me but if we're talking truck engines into the 86, I wouldnt mind having a 2rz swapped car on this forum. The folks over at paradise racing seem to support the swap plus you might be able to get some pointers from people that have done before. (Although you more than likely will have to hunt them down, since its not really a mainstream swap)
Last edited by Jay_ATX on Fri May 10, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

I think the 3ur only comes with a rear sump oil pan, so a custom pan would need to be made. plus there is a lot of additional electronics to work around.

RotaSpinna69

Post by RotaSpinna69 »

A pan isn't hard to fab, but you are correct on the electronics. At least in the way of being a bitch to tune from scratch haha. It has variable intake AND exhaust cam timing...

Looking at the MK4 body dimensions, it has an engine bay length of approx. 35". Way more than enough for the engine and radiator. But the 3UR is 27" long from rear to crankshaft bolt. Not enough room in the 29" long '86 engine bay :/

More cool info...

4AGE = 341lbs.
1UZFE = 385lbs.
2UZFE = 540lbs!!!
3URFE = 489lbs.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

1uzfe dressed weighs in @ 430 pounds. I only know this because Corey(JDM AE86) weighed his today on his scale at work.

RotaSpinna69

Post by RotaSpinna69 »

I'm guessing that is with PS, AC, fluids, etc? The weights I have are Toyota "service" weights, so that is probably no fluids and such.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

3ur is a bitchen motor little parts support super expensive. but bitchen. i could do more with ur than a uz.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]