Just a question.

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

RenoDrift
Tourist

Just a question.

Post by RenoDrift »

Whats the best rear end to have in the your corolla? Has anyone ever seen a early 80's Ford mustang rear in one? I just want something that is going to handle the HP without me having to keep changing diff's. Any info helps. Thanks

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Just a question.

Post by dr.occa »

A first gen RX7 (live rear axle out of the FB) rear end is a good candidate. The Celica Supra rear end. Possibly the Mustang II rear end or one out of an S10.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

the ford mustang/explorer rear is basically bullet proof in a corolla.
here is a thread with pics. http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=12379
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

^^^ good to know..

86boy

Post by 86boy »

ga_goosh wrote:the ford mustang/explorer rear is basically bullet proof in a corolla.
here is a thread with pics. http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=12379

yes I have been contemplating the 8.8" just due to the fact that for some reason the 6.7 seems to "loosen" itself up after drifting. I set it kinda tight last time.... and now I can hear the gears slopping around again.... Might have a spool and 30 mm axles up for grabs in the future. Or maybe trade for a spool/axles for the 8.8"
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

im sure it is due to the crush sleeve or that pesky pinion bolt. the bolt is actually what went wrong on my rear end. the lock notch that was beat into the bolt to hold it in position broke off and the bolt backed off letting the pinion gear hit on my diff causiing it to lock up. luckly i was able to get off the freeway in time before it locked up on me.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

nt66

Post by nt66 »

I chose not to go with a ford 8.8 unit for a couple of reasons they are a lot heavier, they add a couple more percent to drivetrain hp loss, and they are a huge pain in the ass to swap ring and pinions on. Also they are a lot larger and required a lot of fabrication to work.
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

yea they look heavy
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

86boy

Post by 86boy »

yeah I have a weir performance solid pinion spacer in there. Also the nut hasn't moved in mine :/ lol I just checked that last week to make sure. Imma have to pull it apart again not really any other way around that one. I swear I'm going to be a pro at these damn diffs before long.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

86boy wrote:yeah I have a weir performance solid pinion spacer in there. Also the nut hasn't moved in mine :/ lol I just checked that last week to make sure. Imma have to pull it apart again not really any other way around that one. I swear I'm going to be a pro at these damn diffs before long.
I know how that feels. When I installed my LSD it wasn't set up right by the previous owner and I spent a week waiting on weir for the solid spacer and setting up back lash right. I have toyed with the idea of cryo-freezing the GTS diff and seeing what abuse that could take?
I like cars, food, and puppies.