Opinions? Gotta make a decision.

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

ascendantsword
Tourist

Post by ascendantsword »

Okay, so I have a choice to make here. First, a little info.

I have a '77 Toyota RA29 Celica Liftback. The liftback is tan, auto car (unfortunately, but happily easily to remedy), with a clean title. It's an auto car. Clean interior, clean exterior, minor and easily fixable rust.

On the other hand, I have an '87 AE86 SR5 coupe. The coupe has full Whiteline poly bushing kit, panhard bar, and front strut bar, TRD springs, AGX shocks, Ronal Turbo 15x8 wheels, is pretty clean (one dent, ZERO rust, but needs paint), full interior, Megan seats, and a nice dash.

The GTS rear end is installed in the Corolla at the moment, but would obviously go into whichever car I decided to use. After doing a little research, I've concluded that AE86 parts either bolt in or are a very nearly bolt in affair, including the crossmember, rear end, etc, to the RA29. The only difference is that the AE86 GTS rear end is slightly wider than my Celica's factory rear.

I have a freshly cleaned GTS fuel tank, a freshly built zero-mile 4AGE I just finished, a GTS T50, an engine harness for GTS AE86, and a GTS rear end. I also have an extra stock AE86 complete front suspension with crossmember, steering rack, column, etc, so I don't have to strip my coupe to nothing.

I'm thinking that since both cars are carbureted, the amount of work necessary to get the 4AGE running in either car would be identical, so it really boils down to which one I want to have running. Therefore, I'm asking the opinions of you guys to see what you think!

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Re: Opinions? Gotta make a decision.

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Well converting the ae86 into a GTS is more bolt in and it sounds like you have just about everything you need for that. Could take you a weekend with help from a few buddies if you dont have to order some little part here or there. The RA29 would talk a bit longer just because you would be trying to make things work, yes a lot of the big stuff is bolt in but its the little stuff that will nickel and dime ya to death. I spent 400 bucks the other week on just nickel and dime stuff for my carb 4ag build. If I was in your shoes I would swap the stuff you have in the GTS and have that running so you can play around with it. As for the RA29 since you already have to source parts for a swap I say put a celica rear end in it with a 1uz/w58. Just make it your balls to the wall car. Thats just my 2 cents, its your car and I cant make you do anything. Come up with some ideas and then sit on them for a month or two, see witch one still makes your jr wiggle.
I like cars, food, and puppies.

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

i think you know the answer to your own question. in my experience it is best to just make up your own mind, and not let the crowd dictate what you do.

with all of that said, i like what jdmwhiteboy says

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

I agree^ if your going to spend the time and effort to swap something into the celica do something a little more worthwhile than a 4ag... I would suggest a 2jzge swap over the 1uz though as getting a manual trans behind the 1uz is costly. And you can turbo the 2jz for less and far easier later down the line.

ascendantsword
Tourist

Post by ascendantsword »

Well, the decision (for better or worse) has been made. I've decided to swap everything into the celica. A worthy(?) soul has offered a load of cash for the 'rolla shell, and circumstances have forced me to pare down my collection.

As of now, my collection consists of a '75 Fairlady Z and the RA29.

I see the merit in JDMwhiteboy's argument. It would make perfect sense to just finish the Corolla and have done with it. However, I can't keep three cars in the limited space I've been given. So two it is. I have a month to get it ready for an upcoming car show. :O

I'm sad to see it go, honestly. I like Corollas, but it just makes more sense this way. Ah, well. It'll work out. So, who's up for an RA29 build thread? :D

*EDIT*
Oh, btw...future plans for the Celica include a GM 3rd generation small block and a 6 speed transmission :mrgreen:

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Guy on here has a 1.5jzgte in his RA. Super fun car.

ascendantsword
Tourist

Post by ascendantsword »

yeah, i sent him a PM earlier to see about picking his brain regarding his mods. I've pretty much thrown in the towel on getting my GTS rear to bolt up, and instead I'm going to just swap the parts over. Plenty of write-ups on that.

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Yeah don't get yourself in so deep that nothing gets done. That's me.

ascendantsword
Tourist

Post by ascendantsword »

Well, I've started on it. The only really useful parts from AE to RA chassis are the brakes and front spindles. The rear ends are totally different, as far as the mounting points are concerned. The GTS brakes will fit with some modification, as well as the actual differential, but with my horsepower goals, it'd be more intelligent to just put a supra rear end in it and have done with the whole situation.

The front spindles will be useful, but I'll need to install an AE crossmember to take advantage of the better rack and pinion setup. I have an extra setup. However, it's looking like it'd be better to just sell my entire AE86 shell as a complete setup, since disassembling the rear end doesn't look like a viable option. I have a potential local buyer, but he's trying to jew me, saying that the chassis is only work 400 bucks at the most.

Obviously, I informed him that I wouldn't be taking 400 bucks for a clean, rust free chassis. So I suppose we'll need to do a bit more negotiation. Someone will buy it, and not because I'm giving it away.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

call me, 9727046004, I have a spare crossmember and rack and pinion if you dont wanna strip the corolla.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk