4ac-4age swap question, GTS rear end necessary?

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: 4ac-4age swap question, GTS rear end necessary?

Post by dr.occa »

I don't necessarily agree that SR20 swaps are for dummies but gumption is needed for any sort of swap.

Roll up your sleeves buddy and get busy.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

dr.occa wrote:Roll up your sleeves buddy and get busy.
^^^^ what he said

I like the sr20 swap (not just cause I had a 240 before the 86) but its a foundation that can make much more power for cheap compared to the 20v. The draw back is at that point the car is more race car than streetable dd. Dont get me wrong the 20v still packs a punch plus you could get lucky like mandm177 and get 28mpg with a 20v. I'm still uber jelly of this :x
I like cars, food, and puppies.

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

JDMwhiteboy wrote: Dont get me wrong the 20v still packs a punch plus you could get lucky like mandm177 and get 28mpg with a 20v. I'm still uber jelly of this :x
its more like 30+ now...

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

mandm177 wrote:
JDMwhiteboy wrote: Dont get me wrong the 20v still packs a punch plus you could get lucky like mandm177 and get 28mpg with a 20v. I'm still uber jelly of this :x
its more like 30+ now...

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

mandm177 wrote:
its more like 30+ now...
That's retarded!

demby123
Tourist

Post by demby123 »

dr.occa wrote: There's also a way to convert an 8 bolt Toyota rear end from drums to rotors and calipers.
Can I have more information on this? I'm having some issues with my drums and at this point, I'm ready to get rid of them one way or another. :evil:

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

mandm177 wrote:
its more like 30+ now...
i thought it got more? im getting like 37 lol
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

How is this possible?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Manifesto wrote:How is this possible?

I think dave is trying to make us all jealous with a pair of "pants on fire"

Proof or BAN!!! (you know i'm kidding you dave)

or am I hmmmmm?

86boy

Post by 86boy »

The SR20 swap involves dropping the subframe an inch to make everything clear without firewall mods (beating massaging etc) which they do make a kit for. The kit is like 7 bills though. I've heard of guys having to go from a bottom mount turbo manifold to a top mount.

Any route you go (unless 20v carb'd) you'll have to get fuel lines fuel pump etc as already stated. The 20v in the long run at your current position would be cheaper than buying an sr20 and having to deal with a possible blown turbo, oil pump, seals, gaskets, etc. Trust me I bought one and an s13 chassis... dumped more money than I wanted into it. still has a blown turbo and the turbine sounds like it wants to eat the housing now... but that's a different story about my DD currently while my 86 is down.

I def. agree with Dr. Occa roll up your sleeves and get busy. that's what I did 3 weeks ago... lol Go look at my build thread to see what I've done in 3 weeks time. Def. helps when you have money stacked for a project like this and can just order the parts needed when you come to that bridge. Took a lot of will power to save money and stockpile parts for my swap. It's taken a little over a year now to get everything.

Make yourself a checklist and start getting parts and storing them until you get them. I'm out in Nebraska so 98.7% of my parts were shipped. You just gotta bite the bullet sometimes. I've seen 1 SR5 and 1 other GTS west of Grand Island, Ne (which is about the middle of the state) Nothing in Kansas that I've seen/heard of. Rapid City has a few but the owners are a little stingy with their parts unless you personally know them. Suck it up and get started! BRING IT TO LIFE!!!!! also sorry for the long ass message... didn't intend on it to be that long.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Another thing back to the topic you OP'd about. Check with Mckenney might still have an empty GTS housing. Then you could put whatever you wanted in it. Here soon I'll have some stock parts for sale as I'm upgrading stuff. Once I get my spool and axles in... I'll have the stock axles and a welded diff. I want to save the stock open diff for the ring and pinion in case I blow a set up lol. Just ideas man. McKenney generally sells stuff a good cost too. who knows he might be able to put a complete rear together with all his extra parts lol
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

86boy wrote:...Def. helps when you have money stacked for a project like this and can just order the parts needed when you come to that bridge. Took a lot of will power to save money and stockpile parts for my swap. It's taken a little over a year now to get everything.

This is the old school method and it's the good school method too! :tu:

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

dr.occa wrote:
86boy wrote:...Def. helps when you have money stacked for a project like this and can just order the parts needed when you come to that bridge. Took a lot of will power to save money and stockpile parts for my swap. It's taken a little over a year now to get everything.

This is the old school method and it's the good school method too! :tu:
Its the method that still doesnt have my rolla on the road, but I got so many name brand parts and overnight parts from Japan ;)