SR20det vs 4age black top

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

SR20det vs 4age black top

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

okay, heres the story, i bought a blacktop, in the middle of preping it, one of my friends offered me a sr20det. yea i know its kinda late isnt it?? BUT, i can easily return the blacktop and go with the sr20det.. no biggie for me. i need help on this decision. Which one is better i cant make up my mind on which one exactly is more reliable.. besides drifting.. im talking about mostly driving it and yea if i want to drift it it wont start knocking... please any information would be helpful. :various13:
1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S coupe ( f20 powered)

CBR_TOY

Re: SR20det vs 4age black top

Post by CBR_TOY »

20v is easier to put in.... sr takes a mount kit

i'd go 20v if you're just gonna be driving it around with spurts of drifting
JDM AE86/AE92

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Will this car be your DD or just your weekend warrior? If its your DD I would go with the 20v, its a much easier swap and there is plenty of info on them motor and swaps. If this is your toy I would ask you turbo or NA. If you want to stay NA then also go with the 20v, but if you want to turbo I would go with the sr20. The sr block is just a nice turbo friendly motor that you can get bolt ons for cheep. I myself love the sound of a NA high reving motor, but you have to rememebr in the end no matter what anyone here says its till your money and you do what YOU want with YOUR money.
I like cars, food, and puppies.

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

JDMwhiteboy wrote:Will this car be your DD or just your weekend warrior? If its your DD I would go with the 20v, its a much easier swap and there is plenty of info on them motor and swaps. If this is your toy I would ask you turbo or NA. If you want to stay NA then also go with the 20v, but if you want to turbo I would go with the sr20. The sr block is just a nice turbo friendly motor that you can get bolt ons for cheep. I myself love the sound of a NA high reving motor, but you have to rememebr in the end no matter what anyone here says its till your money and you do what YOU want with YOUR money.

okay.. yea ur right.. in the end i do what i want. But just wanted some comments on whats best. yes blacktop is a good DD and so is an sr. theyre both really good motors. this is my DD for right now but at the same time my toy. i drive this car to work which is like 10 mins. away from my apartment.. i want this car to be both.. like, "yes im going to work, then later ima go drift a lil bit." (not really) but yea thats what i mean.. ionno. and yes if i do get an sr20, its gunna be turbo. andi do understand the whole installing takes time but its worth the wait in the end.. :various30:

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Yea the whole DD/drift car is a fun game to play. Me and CBR_TOY play this game. (cough the video of me snapping my axle cough) lol

I say go 20v, its cheeper and I bet you and a few buddies can get the whole swap done in a weekend if you husle and busle. Rock that till it blows, witch I hope is more than a year lol, and then go sr. Set like higher levels you want to reach for yourself.

GTSRolla34

Post by GTSRolla34 »

I say 20V. When you say you were offered an SR20DET, is that just the engine/trans and manifold/turbo? Or is it coming with the wiring, ECU, piping, intercooler, BOV, external wastegate (if not internally gated), O2 housing, downpipe, mount kit, etc? While there are items you'll need to install the 20V, the price to install it will be substantially less unless you are getting everything you need. You'll have plenty of fun with the 20V. If you're going to keep it as a DD, I say stick with the 20V, not b/c the SR is not a reliable engine, but more because turbo cars can be attention mongers.

supra_750

Post by supra_750 »

I say 20v, less shit to deal with and I dailied mine for almost 2 yrs drifting it everyday and took it to plenty of drift events. Very fun car. Sometimes wish I would have just left mine alone

Gts_coupe87
Tourist

Post by Gts_coupe87 »

supra_750 wrote:I say 20v, less shit to deal with and I dailied mine for almost 2 yrs drifting it everyday and took it to plenty of drift events. Very fun car. Sometimes wish I would have just left mine alone

yea but dont i have to wrry about blowing the motor??... okay guys! i know by this point yall are thinking' "oh ur not really gunna drift it??.. okay go with the 20v" i am gunna drift it more than yall think.. yes its a daily but its my toy as well.... and the reason why i keep talking about blown 20v is becuase ive read reviews about it but i have my doubts because i mean come on now guys its not that bad is it??

supra_750

Post by supra_750 »

i have abused my 20v to the fullest lol still ran strong. just take "care" of it and it will last. i seriously took it to redline everywhere i went and dogged the piss outa it. i built it as my fun car and did what i wanted to. and not to be that guy but u will honestly learn more about driving a car with the lower hp and prolly have more fun.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

As long as you treat it right with oil changes and spark plugs it will be just fine. I DD and drift my Sr5 and its still got the 4AC!!! Lots of speed and shitty tires help LOL!

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

supra_750 wrote: and not to be that guy but u will honestly learn more about driving a car with the lower hp and prolly have more fun.

this.....
JDM AE86/AE92

GTSRolla34

Post by GTSRolla34 »

Gts_coupe87 wrote:yea but dont i have to wrry about blowing the motor??
Why do you think you're at a greater risk at blowing the engine if you go with a 20v vs an SR20? If you're doing something that will result in an engine blowing it won't matter what engine you have. You're risking it either way. With the turbo motor you'll also have to worry about boost leaks, turbo bearings, etc.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

My 2¢:
Less modification, more affordable and up & driving sooner = Any 4AG

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

some people would say you can make more power with the sr20 its a better motor to start out with way more power. however putting a nissan motor in a toyota is pretty montrose to me.however i would say the 3sgte is a better motor than the sr20.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

16vHachi

Post by 16vHachi »

i agree, the 3sgte is much better!!!!!!!!
thats what i want in my car
1984 Toyota Corolla- Drift Project
"Those aren't mudflaps!! They are mullets for tires!"
"Yall Doin That Skid Racin Again?"
Stay Sideways My Friends!