AWD drifto info?

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Dorikun

AWD drifto info?

Post by Dorikun »

So... anyone know how to slide something awd?... I'm gonna start looking into how to set up the Evo... would be nice to get some ideas. Please don't post anything on the Orange Drift Evo... that's old already. I want to keep it awd and be able to adjust it (so no rwd conversion). A weekend spirited drive is all I'm interested in. Nothing too extreme. Just curious if any 86garage members are into that sort of thing as well and would know where to find any additional info.

Ricky86

Re: AWD drifto info?

Post by Ricky86 »

Drive on mud/gravel/lose surface. You will break something if you try drifting on pavement.

That being said, drifting awd is almost the same as rwd but you wont have as much angle and you will have to commit a lot more to your driving (if you lift throttle on an awd car during a slide you will just understeer so your foot has to stay planted to the floor).

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Ricky86 wrote:Drive on mud/gravel/lose surface. You will break something if you try drifting on pavement.

That being said, drifting awd is almost the same as rwd but you wont have as much angle and you will have to commit a lot more to your driving (if you lift throttle on an awd car during a slide you will just understeer so your foot has to stay planted to the floor).

^ ricky speaks the truth. OR you could put slicks on the rear and pvc grade/completely bald w/ the belt showing tires on the front :mrgreen:

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

they make selectible center diffs(pnumatic) if i remember right that allow you to switch from awd to rwd.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

JUST SLIDE THE 86
JDM AE86/AE92

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

mooreofit wrote:they make selectible center diffs(pnumatic) if i remember right that allow you to switch from awd to rwd.
he wants to drift AWD alan.

aren't all your 86's sold now or do you still have them or one?

ManilaGorilla

Post by ManilaGorilla »

Ricky86 wrote:Drive on mud/gravel/lose surface. You will break something if you try drifting on pavement.

i would have to disagree on awd not getting angle when it comes to a drift, they can get massive angle if thrown the right way... unless of course you mean steering angle.

B.Lane 88.
Tourist

Post by B.Lane 88. »

Im really excited to play with my new scooby in the rain as soon as I replace the clutch :D

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

watch wrc racing ... ok there's my two cents ... bye bye...lol..
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

yotarolla

Post by yotarolla »

I second ManilaGorilla's point, If you have enough power in an awd you can get crazy angle with very little to no countersteer.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

I'm kinda surprised an awd car hasn't been built for the pro series,most have more than enough power to be able to spin all 4 and part of the points is smoke and 4 smoke more than 2 so....Speed is part of the points as well and to be honest the only part of a corner the rwd drifter guys are fast is corner entry,add awd and mid corner out would be mucho faster.
Making it work consistantly would be a trick,slight differences in gearing(easily done with tires alone for experimentation) can fine tune over/understeer.I'm turning my swift ice racer into a motorcycle powered awd little beast and I expect to run a slightly taller gear on the front diff to spin the fronts a little faster than the rear to keep oversteer to a minimum(faster) by pulling harder with the front.
The same might work in reverse for a drifter.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

[youtube]<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z0ygNXHwESU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z0ygNXHwESU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>[/youtube]
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

^^^FIXED!

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

damn....
JDM AE86/AE92

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

thank you sir.