red top or blue top?

Anything non-tech related to AE86

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

landslideATX
VIP Member

red top or blue top?

Post by landslideATX »

what is the difference between the red and blue top 16v 4age? how do you know witch one your car has. what are the specs and so on?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: red top or blue top?

Post by dr.occa »

landslideATX wrote:what is the difference between the red and blue top 16v 4age? how do you know witch one your car has. what are the specs and so on?
they may just be different valve covers. they may actually be a 3-rib block, large port, low comp (blue top) and a 7-rib block, small port, hi-comp, non-tvis w/ oil-squirters (red top - will also have an oil line from head to block towards the back of the engine). they may even be a large port, hi-comp (some red tops), you really can't go by the valve covers.

orlando's sr5 came with a 4ac on a 7-rib block! i've seen FX-16s (AE82) with either and with a mishmash of large port head on 7-rib block, etc... I've also seen a kouki 86 with the large port head on 7-rib block as well. so suffice it to say, you can't really go by the valve covers but i've mentioned a few of the differences between the two 4AGE's you mentioned.

this thread should probably be move to the tech section.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

so how do i tell what mine is? mine is a 4age out of the first gen mr2 and has oil cooler and lines ran.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

landslideATX wrote:so how do i tell what mine is? mine is a 4age out of the first gen mr2 and has oil cooler and lines ran.
does it have TVIS on the intake manifold?

also, you'll have to get a flash light and possibly jack the car up, use a mirror, i don't know, but you can count the ribs on the block from the exhaust port side.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

it does say tivis on the intake but i'm not sure about the ribs. where do i look for that. under the header?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

landslideATX wrote:it does say tivis on the intake but i'm not sure about the ribs. where do i look for that. under the header?
ok, then you're running a large port low-comp (9.?:1).

the ribs can be counted on the block itself under the headers (if you can see them that is). you can also tell if it's a 7-rib by looking at the water pump. on the block where the water pump is attached there maybe a re-inforcement rib (running vertically from the water pump if visible) if it has one, it's most likely a 7-rib block.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

this is what my motor looks like. i'm still new to the motor part of this car.