Interchangeable parts... from aw11 to ae86

Technical Reference

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

McKenney
VIP Member

Interchangeable parts... from aw11 to ae86

Post by McKenney »

The tps is different but only in how it's clocked. The ae86 one has the two tabs horizontal, whereas the aw11 one is vertical. remove the tps, remove the center retaining nut on the throttle plate shaft. After removing it, take the tps actuator(not sure of the proper term) and drill the hole out to a round hole. The shaft is about 1/4 inch or 7 mm. Re-install the actuator at a vertical position. You might need to re-adjust it and/or the tps to get it lined up right... But easy job, nonetheless.

The only pic I could find... the problem is the slotted hole. Drill it to a circle hole and re-install it. There is a lockwasher and nut that hold it in place so it won't rotate on you once it's tight. Toyota redundancy ftw...
Attachments
sensor_blade.jpg
sensor_blade.jpg (91.97 KiB) Viewed 2366 times

McKenney
VIP Member

Re: Interchangeable parts... from aw11 to ae86

Post by McKenney »

The ecu's from bluetop to bluetop are interchangeable as well. Mine and the one I got from 85supergze are identical, they plug in the same and I drove it with no issues... I don't think mine has ever been changed so from what I can tell they are the same. I put mine back in 'cuz it still works fine.

We all know how to do the rack swap so I won't write that up...

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

the one on the left is ae86 the one on the right is the aw11 one.
Attachments
tps2.jpg
tps2.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 2343 times

a.k.a.vene

Post by a.k.a.vene »

i dont know da rack, u mind pm me da info
TILL IT REDLINES HACHI!!!!!!!!
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

great tech tip McKenney.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

The rack and pinion from aw11 and ae86 are interchangeable but u need the bushing on the drivers side to take up the gap. and u need the joint to connect the rack to the column.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

im guessing the heads are interchangable as well eh? although the intake mani on the mr2 is on the opposite side
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

All A series heads are interchangeable. For instance, if you were bored enough, an Atlantic block will work with a 4AC head or a 20V. From what I understand ALL A series(3A, 4A, 7A) blocks and heads are compatible without modification. My car has a 7 rib bottom end with a blue top head, and it's stock...

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

Wait wait wait....this cant be true. Only for the fact that I once asked that on Club4ag and then got flamed on. SO your saying that I can put a 4ac bottom end with a twin cam head on there and call it a day with NO modification? Just so we can clear this up!
Only on the internet could a man spend a lot of time and effort doing a high quality job only to have everyone rip him a new hole for not having the same exact taste as everyone else.

ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø HARD TRANCE ø¤º°¨
„ø¤º° FOREVER °º¤ø

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

they all bolt up to one another but does not mean that all matches are efficient or worthwhile combinations jason.

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

Ok well mcKenny made it sound like I could use my 4ac with a twin cam head and just bolt right up and run.
Only on the internet could a man spend a lot of time and effort doing a high quality job only to have everyone rip him a new hole for not having the same exact taste as everyone else.

ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø HARD TRANCE ø¤º°¨
„ø¤º° FOREVER °º¤ø

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Yes you can. Would you want to... probably not. The 4AC and Bluetop blocks are the same... So anything you could bolt to a bluetop will work on a 4AC. The 4AC bottom end(internals) is shit for making power, but the block is ok. Hell, I'm planning on a 4AGZE bottom end with a bluetop head. I've read somewhere of a 3AC with a small port head swap and sidedrafts on it.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

DjSpecter wrote:Ok well mcKenny made it sound like I could use my 4ac with a twin cam head and just bolt right up and run.
McKenney wrote:...Would you want to... probably not.
dr.occa wrote:...they all bolt up to one another but does not mean that all matches are efficient or worthwhile combinations...
see any similarities?

but here's what i think you only want to hear jason:
McKenney wrote:...The 4AC and Bluetop blocks are the same... So anything you could bolt to a bluetop will work on a 4AC...I've read somewhere of a 3AC with a small port head swap and sidedrafts on it."

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

No i mean its cool cause I heard that they all boltup as well and when I asked that question somewhere else I was shut down and then after He posted that up its almost like WHAT?!?!?!?!? Its cool that I got this cleared up now.

ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø HARD TRANCE ø¤º°¨
„ø¤º° FOREVER °º¤ø

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

McKenney wrote:Yes you can. Would you want to... probably not. The 4AC and Bluetop blocks are the same... So anything you could bolt to a bluetop will work on a 4AC. The 4AC bottom end(internals) is shit for making power, but the block is ok. Hell, I'm planning on a 4AGZE bottom end with a bluetop head. I've read somewhere of a 3AC with a small port head swap and sidedrafts on it.
lol just to add my 2 cents in here my car actually has a 4ac bottom with a bluetop head and it makes "shit" for power lol but all that's going to be changed soon enough
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."