Nissan Brake Master Cylinder

Technical Reference

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

I just saw your post... what is the advantage of a booster-less setup?
85 Hatch SR5 => GTS High Comp Levin!!!
84 Coupe SR5 => GTS JDM MAP 16V (My Wife's car!)

gda03subaru

Post by gda03subaru »

better pedal feel, and control only thing i can think of
03' Wrx
86 ae86

85levin

Post by 85levin »

some people like it because it is not as touchy when braking heel toe. personally, i think what makes it more appealing is the cleanliness. though, with the stock master it is a little to stiff for the street in my book. theoretically replacing the stock master with a larger diameter one should only make a stiffer and with less travel. but, you never know untill you try it, might be different because of the internal proportioning valve.

Projectgofast
Tourist

Post by Projectgofast »

I tried flipping the valve to run it booster less, the pedal was hard as a brick and I could bearly stop, it was almost like having no brakes

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Projectgofast wrote:I tried flipping the valve to run it booster less, the pedal was hard as a brick and I could bearly stop, it was almost like having no brakes
yeah, it's scary huh.

85levin

Post by 85levin »

sorry projectgofast. thenagain your name isn't stopfast. jk. thank you for crarifing that.

interested to see how well this master will do with your fc brake kit hondarue.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

really, if you want to go boosterless you'll need to offset the lack of vacuum assistance with leverage by going with a longer stroke cylinder. you can also go larger bore and slightly more stroke but your feel will come from a longer cylinder. you'll want to go with an adj. brake proportioner too. i may do this on the coupe but i need to get the engine done first but that requires money...sigh. :(

85levin

Post by 85levin »

if i go that route i will keep the stock master. i flipped the vacuum valve and it isn't that bad. i'll see if it is something i can get used to.

what parts do you need for your engine? i have mostly 20v stuff, a lot of stuff. lmk, we have all been in that boat.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

I ran a stock master for 2 years with no booster I like it better once you get used to it. also a smaller master will make the pedal feel easier and give you more braking force it just requires more travel. Bigger master will require less travel but more force to push it down.
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

nt66 wrote:I ran a stock master for 2 years with no booster I like it better once you get used to it. also a smaller master will make the pedal feel easier and give you more braking force it just requires more travel. Bigger master will require less travel but more force to push it down.
i guess i don't see how that is will. so you're saying with a stock or shorter stroke cylinder you require less force and obtain better feel? i'm not second guessing your setup but the physics doesn't corroborate with that being so. i'm skeptical so i'll have to see it for myself.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

I'm saying a longer stroke smaller diameter piston master cylinder will require less effort to depress and be more power full. Its just how hydraulics work. A larger diameter master will require less travel to move the same amount of brake fluid but will require a lot harder push from your foot to get the same power.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hydraulic1.htm
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

nt66 wrote:I'm saying a longer stroke smaller diameter piston master cylinder will require less effort to depress and be more power full. Its just how hydraulics work. A larger diameter master will require less travel to move the same amount of brake fluid but will require a lot harder push from your foot to get the same power.
ah, disregard my previous post then will. you and i are on the same page. we're saying the same thing. forgive me good sir.