Nissan Brake Master Cylinder

Technical Reference

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

HondaRue

Nissan Brake Master Cylinder

Post by HondaRue »

I used the master cylinder from a non-abs S13. They are internally proportioned so no need for the prop valve on the driver's side strut tower any more. It's about an inch shorter and these are extremely easy to find.

85 Hatch SR5 => GTS High Comp Levin!!!
84 Coupe SR5 => GTS JDM MAP 16V (My Wife's car!)

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

thanks for the heads up aaron. thats using your noggin!!!
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

GTSRolla34

Post by GTSRolla34 »

I wonder how this would work with a boosterless setup.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

hows it feel? any difference?
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

landslideATX wrote:hows it feel? any difference?
I love the pedal feel. The pedal no longer travels half way to the floor before I start to feel pressure. In addition, when I do begin to feel brake pressure the brake pedal is about level with the gas pedal making Heel-Toe easier. I invite anyone who would like to feel for themselves to take my car for a spin and give me some feed back.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

HondaRue wrote:
landslideATX wrote:hows it feel? any difference?
I love the pedal feel. The pedal no longer travels half way to the floor before I start to feel pressure. In addition, when I do begin to feel brake pressure the brake pedal is about level with the gas pedal making Heel-Toe easier. I invite anyone who would like to feel for themselves to take my car for a spin and give me some feed back.
thats the answer i was looking for. that sounds like it would be nice. did you have to rerun any hard lines or do they all just bend over?

if you ever come to austin i will take you up on that offer.
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

landslideATX wrote:thats the answer i was looking for. that sounds like it would be nice. did you have to rerun any hard lines or do they all just bend over?

if you ever come to austin i will take you up on that offer.
I believe you could probably just bend your exhisting lines to fit the S13 BMC. I made a new line for the driver's side brake line and just bent the exhisting lines for the passenger and rear brake lines. I plan on making new lines for Heather's coupe using the stock lines as a guide and I'm thinking about making a few sets.

And I've been talking with a few people about possibly making a road trip or two in the near future. I know Houston is a must as I owe Jonas a visit but I'd also like to get out to Austin.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

bish you better make it out here for the next meet!!!!!
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

thanks for sharing this aaron! again, great job.
GTSRolla34 wrote:I wonder how this would work with a boosterless setup.
i also pondered this with aaron when we discussed his setup. i initially asked him the stroke length on the cylinder piston. we're going to have to do some research and compare the findings with the AE86 mascyl.

using this brake cylinder would still work well with my NST bmc stopper.

i'll have to see about picking one up for the coupe. i'll even see about testing it on my TE38.

we'll have to put another gathering together before thanksgiving. that's when we'll all most likely begin to be busy with family until the new year.
Last edited by dr.occa on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTSRolla34

Post by GTSRolla34 »

[/quote]i also pondered this with aaron when we discussed his setup. i initially asked him the stroke length on the cylinder piston. we're going to have to do some research and compare the findings with the AE86 mascyl.

[/quote]

Let me know what you find. I'm still trying to find a MC to use on my build.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

this is making me think. i wonder if a 300zx master will fit since that is the big upgrade for the 240sx...hmmmm
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

ga_goosh wrote:this is making me think. i wonder if a 300zx master will fit since that is the big upgrade for the 240sx...hmmmm
i don't see how it is beneficial with a 1" bore. the S13 non-abs is 7/8". it's interesting to note that the GTS MC is 13/16" which is similar to the ABS equipped S13.

what i believe is more beneficial is leverage not coverage. a longer stroke would seem more appealing especially with stock diameter rotors and a single piston caliper.

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

dr.occa wrote:
ga_goosh wrote:this is making me think. i wonder if a 300zx master will fit since that is the big upgrade for the 240sx...hmmmm
i don't see how it is beneficial with a 1" bore. the S13 non-abs is 7/8". it's interesting to note that the GTS MC is 13/16" which is similar to the ABS equipped S13.

what i believe is more beneficial is leverage not coverage. a longer stroke would seem more appealing especially with stock diameter rotors and a single piston caliper.
Speak english man! A longer stroke is always more appealing ;)
86 GTS 4AGTE

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

As far as bolting up goes... it will. But I'm not one to think that "bigger is better."

I'm not an engineer so the technical BS of why this should or shouldn't work I cannot share. I only gave this a try after reading about a simular BMC swap on either an Australian or European 86 forum. I just put it on and liked the feel.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

dr.occa wrote:i don't see how it is beneficial with a 1" bore. the S13 non-abs is 7/8". it's interesting to note that the GTS MC is 13/16" which is similar to the ABS equipped S13.

i completely agree. it is a piece of mind thing...at least for me. it might be better if the rx-7 calipers where being used. or even if a brembo kit was added. bigger masters are used with higher capacity calipers. it seems to be over looked alot when a big brake upgrade is added. it is sort of like when the truck guys put 24" wheels on and run the stock brake system then wonder why they couldnt stop
MadeInThe80s wrote: A longer stroke is always more appealing ;)
well if the bigger MC was put on the stock brakes it would be over kill and you would end up locking your brakes too easy or over heating them faster. like occa said there would be a lack of pedal range and in turn would hinder performance. think of it this way all the parts work together and if one is stronger then another then it wont work properly
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM