Adapting an AZ6 (rx7, mx5, rx8, sxe10) trans to your AE86

Technical Reference

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Adapting an AZ6 (rx7, mx5, rx8, sxe10) trans to your AE86

Post by dr.occa »

oldeskewltoy from club4ag/hachiroku.net/aeu86.org in conjunction with pineapple racing can supply you with a straight drop in AZ6 transmission for $2400 which also includes a modified driveshaft.

a Quaife dogbox is $6000 alone. TRD's gear option that closely matches the AZ6 is approximately $2000.

another AE86 enthusiast has "successfully" mated an AZ6 box to his 4AG using an adapter plate sandwiched between the GTS clutch housing and AZ6 box. i'm not aware of his solution for the pilot bearing but it has been done.

most importantly is the alignment of the clutch housing with the AZ6 box in regards to the proper line up of the input shaft.

this can be an easy initial setup so long as a loose t50 is available to make the appropriate line-ups.

for example:

firstly, with the T50 and some masking tape you'll simply make a cross of either 2 or more intersecting lines with the tape that properly centers the input shaft in the T50's bellhousing. you'll then need to remove the bellhousing w/o altering or damaging the masking tape.

secondly, with the removed T50 bellhousing and the AZ6 transmission, line up the bellhousing to where the AZ6 input shaft matches the location of T50's input shaft designated by the masking tape's center point of crossing. secure the parts together temporarily while maintaining the alignment of shaft and bellhousing until you can make an appropriate template, etc...

notate any differences in input shaft length and bellhousing depths. include the variances in your equation and create the appropriate sandwich plate and pilot bearing adapter if applicable.

either route you take will virtually eliminate (note i didn't say completely) current and future transmission problems outside of operator errors.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS OPTION IS ONLY IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR AE86 SOUNDING LIKE IT'S 4AGE POWERED BUT WITH A BETTER GEARBOX.

other options exist that are less expensive (e.g. W58 to 4AGE) and others equally as expensive that can also produce a more powerful plant (e.g. F20C full swap).

to quote an Indy Movie:
"But choose wisely. For as the True Grail will bring you life -- the False Grail will take it from you"

-'insert wicked witch of the west cackle'-

just heard back from oldeskewltoy regarding the status of the drop in solution:
oldeskewltoy wrote:... but to put it into production would cost WAAAY too much - over $20g to make the first 25 kits"
oldeskewltoy wrote:.. eventually... the costs will go down...
currently, the parties involved in this ongoing project are already $7000 into the project.

oldeskewltoy wrote:... but to go from my one kit to a production version is just tooo much $$
- one kit is slated to go into one of oldeskewltoy's corollas

oldeskewltoy wrote:..I'm hoping that once tested by a publication(like Grassroots Motorsports) there will be sufficient demand to warrant production"
there you have as of February 3, 2009.