mundos bastard build

Others make

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

mundo
Tourist

mundos bastard build

Post by mundo »

here is a quick rundown of my project
started with 69 vw karman ghia full of rust and bondo, the body was scrapped ok sold to someone who could use it, and the chassis was used,
next a 1942 chevy truck cab, hood and bed all altered to fit for rat rod project,
add a 1938 Plymouth sedan grill and shroud, add a set of bug front fenders on the front and the rear will need to widen them and fit, custom made running boards, and moderate paint,

the reason I am here is the Toyota 4age engine, cheap the injectors were plugged and the previous owner had a carburetor on the stock intake manifold, will replace with a new manifold running either side draft webers or Volvo su carbs, not sure what was done to the ignition, seems most of the motor looks done right but need to tear down and see what I really have, I think big port, 3 rib, I have and will continue to do some research here to see what I need to do to get the motor running as a stand alone system, like in a dune buggy with minimal wiring , I don't have an ecu and don't need massive hp, the stock 112 or so will be a vast improvement over the vw 60 hp motor, plus looking at light weight vehicle less than 1500 lbs, will use as daily driver, only the basics, lights, signals windshield wipers, heater, radio power windows will wire from scratch, any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, keeping it cheap still looking at a couple years till completed. thanks Mundo, I have a build thread on volksrods.com
Attachments
truck%20pic%20002[1].jpg
truck%20pic%20002[1].jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
halloween%2009%20004[1].jpg
halloween%2009%20004[1].jpg (14.76 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
0401121417-01[1].jpg
0401121417-01[1].jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: mundos bastard build

Post by dr.occa »

Interesting build. Any close ups of the 4AG and the rest of the project mundo?

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

If you are running side draft carbies with no ECU, I believe the only things you absolutely need are the ignition, starter, alternator and grounding.

Here is the toyota wiring diagrams for an AE86: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h09e.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

looks like it going to be a nice build when u are done....

mundo
Tourist

Post by mundo »

couldn't open the link I will get better pics in a month or so when I move it from garage to covered patio and get to do some work inside, thanks for all the input
mundo

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

mundo wrote:couldn't open the link I will get better pics in a month or so when I move it from garage to covered patio and get to do some work inside, thanks for all the input mundo
There seems to be some sort of version conflict with adobe ... I live in a linux world ... no adobe normally, so I did not see the error before.

In windows or on OSX you can click "allow this time" and it should load.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

milchmann wrote:If you are running side draft carbies with no ECU, I believe the only things you absolutely need are the ignition, starter, alternator and grounding.

Here is the toyota wiring diagrams for an AE86: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h09e.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course you'll need a means of inducing timing advance. The Toyota VAST ignition system uses the factory ECU to control timing advance based on several environmental inputs. Centrifugal and vacuum advance/retard are no longer employed.

mundo
Tourist

Post by mundo »

doc, I hadn't planned on a Toyota ecu, how does the gm hei work, I have a dist, that came with the motor just not sure what's been done to it the motor had no plugs or wires just the original intake that was modified for a down draft carb and the dist is there but I am not sure if they already locked it out, I will try to get some pics, there are weber kits available near me and I hope to be able to finance one when I get back to work next month, I have also been looking at some of the aftermarket stuff till my eyes glaze over with all the info, there was a guy in Australia a while back advertising a fairly low priced plug in type of ecu like from a motorcycle but I get confused as to which direction to go, I just want to be able to drive it around like a normal vehicle take my wife on dates and occasional day trips to the coast, thanks
mundo
also would I be better off just putting a 4af head on for carbs. I guess would a different head lead me to moderate out put with lower costs....

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Sorry I'm just now seeing this mundo.

Unfortunately, the distributor whether it's a GM HEI or Toyota VAST model, their timing capabilities are contingent on their design. The GM HEI distributors can be either mechanical/vacuum or ecu controlled where as the Toyota VAST units are strictly ecu controlled. A distributor w/ mech advance from another Toyota can be custom fit to your motor with an adapter and then using the 4AG dist gear. It may also need the shaft shortened. Pretty much any motor can be outfitted with carburetors. Some more easily than others because they'll have the necessary ignition components already designed for the format.