My newest car

Others make

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: My newest car

Post by dr.occa »

Bad ass Tom! Can't wait to see footage of you and it in action!

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Well I brought the dwarf into the shop and removed the body 3 weeks ago to find some bent tubes from contact with probably a very hard concrete wall along with kinked roll cage tubes.The kinked tubes were built that way which is disgusting....and I wouldn't get it passed thru tech like that.Decided it wasn't worth the effort,only have $500 into the chassis so I bailed on that project and kicked it outa the shop.
Not being one to give up I went on the hunt for something else,figured if I went back to production cars I'd have a better chance of having someone else in class the race agaisn't so I bought a 1990 supercharged Miata and brought it home.Nice clean original paint,solid floors and no winter driving.I'm going to run it in SSM autox with some improvements to the suspension set-up and additional big ass areo.

Have a torsen diff swap on the way,bought some 13x9 keizers used that'll get some 255-40-13 hoosiers for autox.The 15x8/15x9 6ul's will get 225-45-15 rivals for local autox(to save the delicate hoosiers)and track time.Probably do some time attack as well,should be fun.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Miatas are already badass out of the box. Nice acquisition there Tom. :tu:

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

It'll be good to have a class with cars in it to run directly agaisn't again,been a long time with myself as the only car in class.One of the faster guys in my region has a very closely set-up Miata to this one,it'll be a good test to see if I can get close to him next season.My wife is looking forward to having a car to drive again,she didn't like the bike engine cars so much.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Have the Miata ready for its 1st event next weekend,didn't do as much as I had planned but it did get a torsen diff swap,new bushings,new alignment accentrics,offset delrin bushings in the front upper arms,350lb rear springs ditched for 500's and the 500lb fronts swapped to 800's and front konis rebuilt/revalved for the new springs.Adjustable heim joint sway bar links up front(rear bar is unhooked,only should need it for higher speed track day stuff),battery swapped to a powersports lightweight glassmat deal,mini cooper S donated its air intake to be mounted backwards on the hood as an extractor and the rear wing mounted along with the front splitter.Both to the max of the rules for size and location.
I have a set of 255-35-13 hoosier A6's on 13x9's and a set of 13" American racer dirt track tires mounted up to try for a wet day combo,they are only $100 ea so worth the gamble imo.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

car looks good... and good luck on the race....

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Looking forward to some footage @kevlar corolla :tu:

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Car ran like crap,I was 5 seconds off the pace(HUGE course but still) so I didn't run the 2nd day.Still trying to figure out whats going on with it,hopefully I'll have it figured out and fixed for an event on the 22nd.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Turned out to be the coil pack giving up the ghost,all fixed now and I ran the car today.Went pretty good and a couple of the(really) fast guys showed up so a decent gauge,I finished up 2nd fastest overall 3/10's back of the STi swapped(mid 300's to the wheels I think)imprezza shod with 285 race tires all around.He's been on fire this yr and to be that close is good news for me,I have some se-up work to do and just ordered up a larger front sway bar and adjustable upper rear control arms to hit my camber targets,I'll remove the soft top and frame along with the roll bar saving approx. 120lbs to go along with the 20lbs I've lost recently(much more to go sadly :cry: )

Sorry no vids,I thought the gopro had a card in it but didn't.It was very hot and sunny today so my brain was a little fuzzy. :oops:

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Dang about the GoPro. When's the next race Tom and where are you in the current standings?

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

I overestimated the roll bars weight,only lost approx. 85lbs total but that's better than a kick in the sack with a frozen boot.

I decided to save my fuel money and not make any further long distance events this yr,this will be my last yr for autox.The car will be prepped for time attack entries next yr and I'll get my road race licence as well for the following yr.I Don't mind making a 4 or 5 hour tow for the possibility of hours of seat time,doing it for 6-8 minutes is getting old.I'll have 4 regional events over the remainder of the yr within an hour so I'll attend those along with the club events,my wife is driving the car as well and enjoying it.She finished up about 2.3 seconds behind me which put her ahead of some pretty fast cars driven by dudes,she was happy but wants to go faster-she's a pretty competitive person.

The sway bar is here and I'll get it installed today or one night this week,the adjustable upper control arms should be here soon and after driving the car and not feeling any hitting of the bump stops I've lowered the car a further 1/2" which should work nice with the stiffer front bar and reduced center of gravity with the high up weight removal.

I have a club event in a couple weeks,I'll have the go pro mounted for sure.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Finally got some decent video,cars working well and I finished 1st in class and 2nd overall at both sat/sun events of the regional double header events this past weekend. I actually coned away FTD at Saturdays event which I don't think I'd done before.

http://youtu.be/1FgGz8mZcJM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

Nice run man.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Thanks!

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Ftd at the last event by 1.6 seconds,fastest guys were on their way back from the scca solo nationals.One guy won a national championship and 4 others trophied so they did very well.I'll be running a prosolo this coming weekend,wife will be running the E30 as well.Should be fun.

http://youtu.be/zIXFKcnI1JQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;